Mid January Hatch thread....

Sorry, I was offline for awhile. In response to the hay situation, we have a flatbed that only carries 3 roundbales otherwise we would drive wherever to get it. This summer when hay bales were $100 we went up to Iowa with our horse trailer and loaded it up with square bales of alfalfa. If the people knew we were from Oklahoma they jacked the prices up to 6 or 7 a bale, but we ended up getting all of ours for about $4 a bale, I could sell those for atleast $20 a bale as grass hay in a square bale is $15 if you can find it. The problem is that no one really has hay now so if they have it, they are charging $235 - 250. I almost wish I would have bought them when they were $100 because now I am going to be stuck paying $250. Thank god it is raining today! Our pastures are almost down to dirt. We have a neighboring property of 80 acres that a guy leases and puts livestock on but I haven't seen any livestock there for a couple months and I thought...hmmm maybe my horses should get loose lol. But even that area is pretty dry and wouldn't be the best, but it is better than nothing and sadly by spring I worry that it will either be unaffordable or unavailable either one. We can feed them oats and sweet feed, but a horse will colic without the ruphage of hay. Sad Sad Sad.

Hey Everyone!! My first hatch is done! Most would call it a failure but I have learned so much from this hatch. I, also, have 8 live chicks from this hatch. I set 44 eggs 12-31... 33 eggs made it to lockdown. Out of those, 10 hatched..1 died while hatching & one was culled yesterday( after lots of trying to help it strive & lots of prayers). That leaves me with 8 beautiful fuzzy butts in the brooder.

I did the float test on the unhatched eggs to check for any that might still be alive..23 eggs were dead. So, I was going to float test the 2nd set of incubating eggs because I am TIRED!! Out of ten eggs, 5 went in lockdown. They are on day 22 but I have had terrible luck with temps on this set. I pulled off the window of the LG to get them out & heard a CHEEP!! OMG!! There was a zip going across one of the eggs..I had just checked the eggs about 15 mins before!!! Nothing!! I hurried and put the window back in & watched this fast hatching little chick bust its way into this world!! Yay!!
celebrate.gif

JJMR794 said it best here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=383525

I agree with his conclusion that sinkers are duds, and very high floaters are full of gas and need to be CAREFULLY removed from any contact with other eggs. In my experience, though, by the time an egg floats real high in the water it already stinks so float test isn't necessary. And any egg that is a late quitter (too soon to be stinky) will float the same as a good egg. Movement is the only sure sign of a live chick, IMO.

Edited to Add: I always use dilute Oxine or bleach in my float water. Floating a bunch of eggs in water that has been contaminated by bacteria from other eggs, duds or quitters, then putting the ones that pass the test back in the incubator is a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:
I wish I had more information on this last christmas !! I did tried the float test. The part on "EDITED to ADD" I didnt do .... I lost my chickies. I am not sure what causes them to die . but this time I have two in lock down for this Saturday !. I hope they will survive !!

JJMR794 said it best here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=383525

I agree with his conclusion that sinkers are duds, and very high floaters are full of gas and need to be CAREFULLY removed from any contact with other eggs. In my experience, though, by the time an egg floats real high in the water it already stinks so float test isn't necessary. And any egg that is a late quitter (too soon to be stinky) will float the same as a good egg. Movement is the only sure sign of a live chick, IMO.
Edited to Add: I always use dilute Oxine or bleach in my float water. Floating a bunch of eggs in water that has been contaminated by bacteria from other eggs, duds or quitters, then putting the ones that pass the test back in the incubator is a recipe for disaster.

Sorry, I was offline for awhile. In response to the hay situation, we have a flatbed that only carries 3 roundbales otherwise we would drive wherever to get it. This summer when hay bales were $100 we went up to Iowa with our horse trailer and loaded it up with square bales of alfalfa. If the people knew we were from Oklahoma they jacked the prices up to 6 or 7 a bale, but we ended up getting all of ours for about $4 a bale, I could sell those for atleast $20 a bale as grass hay in a square bale is $15 if you can find it. The problem is that no one really has hay now so if they have it, they are charging $235 - 250. I almost wish I would have bought them when they were $100 because now I am going to be stuck paying $250. Thank god it is raining today! Our pastures are almost down to dirt. We have a neighboring property of 80 acres that a guy leases and puts livestock on but I haven't seen any livestock there for a couple months and I thought...hmmm maybe my horses should get loose lol. But even that area is pretty dry and wouldn't be the best, but it is better than nothing and sadly by spring I worry that it will either be unaffordable or unavailable either one. We can feed them oats and sweet feed, but a horse will colic without the ruphage of hay. Sad Sad Sad.

It seems to make sense for someone to rent a semi and trailer... and get someone to come up here to get bales. If a person were to haul 20 bales back there, then they would not only pay for the shipment, but actually put some $ in their pocket. Most of the people in my area have an excess of hay due to the extremely mild winter.

Hey Everyone!! My first hatch is done! Most would call it a failure but I have learned so much from this hatch. I, also, have 8 live chicks from this hatch. I set 44 eggs 12-31... 33 eggs made it to lockdown. Out of those, 10 hatched..1 died while hatching & one was culled yesterday( after lots of trying to help it strive & lots of prayers). That leaves me with 8 beautiful fuzzy butts in the brooder.

I did the float test on the unhatched eggs to check for any that might still be alive..23 eggs were dead. So, I was going to float test the 2nd set of incubating eggs because I am TIRED!! Out of ten eggs, 5 went in lockdown. They are on day 22 but I have had terrible luck with temps on this set. I pulled off the window of the LG to get them out & heard a CHEEP!! OMG!! There was a zip going across one of the eggs..I had just checked the eggs about 15 mins before!!! Nothing!! I hurried and put the window back in & watched this fast hatching little chick bust its way into this world!! Yay!!
celebrate.gif

Awesome! Congratulations!!!

Back
Top Bottom