Middleboro, MA Chicken Laws & Ordinances?

maryinma

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 19, 2011
Southeastern MA
Hey Chicken Lovers!
Can anyone tell me the ordinances here in Middleboro, MA?
I called the town last year and can't find my notes - remember she put me at ease on the idea, just don't have the particulars.
Thank you,
Mary (My 1st post after skulking for some time)

Just wondering, did you ever find out what the chicken laws/ordinances are in Middleboro? We are thinking of getting chickens and live in Middleboro too, but can't seem to find any information online. I hesitate to call because then they will have my name and phone number, and know that I inquired. If chickens are allowed, then I don't mind, but if they aren't, then I'm not sure what I will do. We live on a very quiet one-way, one-lane gravel road with conservation land behind us, so if my neighbors don't mind a few chickens . . .

Seems like all properties in Middleboro raise some type of bird or animal.My friend raises pheasants,ducks,geese and cranes in Middleboro,but I have no idea what their by laws are.
Better to ask forgiveness then permission seems to work fairly well.
And most of all it depends on your neighbors as they have to live with the noise.Will they invite the noise or complain to the town?Seems like there is always 1 in the neighborhood to do all the complaining.
In N.H.,Tony.

Help please... I am trying not to be "one of those neighbors" that complains ....

What is the best/nicest approach to raise the issue to the neighbor without sounding like "a complainer"? I don't care that they have chickens and roosters - I am even willing to deal with the noise... my issue is that they aren't contained all the time and I just don't want them in my yard (I have a lab that may accidentally hurt one if he catches one and want to avoid that from happening)

I don't know the neighbor well and I don't want to cause any problems. Has anyone received a nice note or something you can share so I can get this resolved without conflict?

Thanks in advance!

Chasing the chickens out of my yard isn't working.... they just come back a little while later. Its getting dangerous now for my dog.... I have been putting my dog on a runner in front of my house and now the chickens are wondering to the front yard and when she sees the chickens she almost hangs herself trying to get to them. I am afraid my dog will hurt herself one of these times.
Is there anything that will scare chickens out permanently?

Fence? Don't mean to sound indelicate, but maybe they need to be conditioned to fear dogs. The rest of my flock saw what happened to a rooster who flew into the enclosed dog yard yesterday. They generally know to avoid the area, but every now and then it seems they need a reminder, and they get it.

A fence would be tough (and expensive) since we have a heavily wooded yard.... the trees are so thick that I cannot see my neighbors. I've been told to let my dog try to teach the chickens a lesson but I am afraid she will chase them right to the coup then she will know where they live. Plus I would have a hard time if she hurt any of the chickens. Can I borrow your dog? LOL!
I may need to approach the neighbors and see if there is anyway they can keep them to their yard better.

Thanks for the help........if you have other suggestions I am willing to try! :)

Back
Top Bottom