Midnight B/S

Kev,,in your opinion,,since my male does NOT look like a Midnight B/S with the very distinctive darker blue-black neck feathers,,and my hens COULD BE Midnight B/S,,would you replace the male? He may be a split,but that was not told to me when purchasing the eggs,as a matter of fact I paid extra for them to be added to the shipments I did get,because I bought several times from this breeder. My hens are indeed B/S hens,,but if they are split with India Blues,all progeny would be India Blue,since it's dominate,,,correct? I'd never raise Midnights using the male I now have.And if the hens are India Blue B/S,split to Midnight,,it wouldn't make any diffrence if a Midnight B/S male was with them,,because the chicks would all be India Blue dominate,,correct? I'm having trouble believing this breeder for the simple fact my male isn't the color he should be,,so I doubt the hens are what they are supposed to be either.

Last edited:
If you breed a midnight bs male to a bs hen that is split midnight, you should get about 50% midnight offspring and 50% split to midnight. Your male still might be split to midnight (even though he doesn't look midnight he will carry the genes if he is split midnight), and breeding him with hens that might be split to midnight will produce 25% midnight offspring. I would still breed them this year to determine if they may be splits.

The seller of these eggs never said they was "split" to India Blue,,matter of fact I paid extra twice for these eggs to be added to shipments I got from winning 3 auctions.I still have his pen chart list showing the eggs I got came from all Midnights.With the possibility of all being split to India Blue,and Blue being dominate,,even if I buy a color correct Midnight B/S Male,,I would never raise any Midnight color correct offspring,,,this is correct? Maybe I should just run the "mutt" B/S male I have with the hens and sell as India Blue B/S,,and not put the color Midnight anywhere on offspring raised or sold??

The seller of these eggs never said they was "split" to India Blue,,matter of fact I paid extra twice for these eggs to be added to shipments I got from winning 3 auctions.I still have his pen chart list showing the eggs I got came from all Midnights.With the possibility of all being split to India Blue,and Blue being dominate,,even if I buy a color correct Midnight B/S Male,,I would never raise any Midnight color correct offspring,,,this is correct? Maybe I should just run the "mutt" B/S male I have with the hens and sell as India Blue B/S,,and not put the color Midnight anywhere on offspring raised or sold??

If the birds you bought as "Midnight BS" are actually "IB BS split to Midnight", and you breed to a true "Midnight BS" then half of the offspring would be Midnight BS and the other half would be IB BS split to Midnight. If, on the other hand, the birds don't even have the Midnight gene, then all the offspring would be IB BS split to Midnight.

smile.png

I just don't like breeding with "splits" period,,I'd much rather breed like blooded birds and know the results instead of maybe getting this,or maybe getting that,,at least on my foundation birds.

Last edited:
Think of it as a benefit to breed with splits. You get two colours from one bird
smile.png
You should be able to find out if you hatched about 6 to 10 chicks - no guarantee, but the odds are that you would hatch at least one midnight in four if they were splits. If all you hatch is blue blackshoulder, then thats what those matings will produce. Without breeding with splits, a new colour cannot remain a healthy bloodline. Using splits allows the diversity to prevent low disease resistance and stronger, healthier birds (assuming your not always breeding splits that are siblings together all the time).

Dont forget you are working with a color and a pattern.....your male could be a midnght split bs...

Trouble lot of people have a hard time tell bs and bs midnight hens apart.......on you male if he is midnight lot of bs split show on the birds shoulders.

Last edited:
Deerman,,this Midnight B/S is definately B/S,,,his entire wing is now black,,it's his same blue coloring all on his neck that has me second guessing his true breeding,if he's indeed a Midnight,,,and since the B/S Midnight hens came from the same breeder,,I really have doubts as to they are what they were sold as.The hens are B/S,mostly all white with carmel brown around base of head and black fragments of color splattered all over them,,and I don't want to keep offspring for two years to breed or grow up to know the true identity,,for the added premium I paid for the eggs I kinda expect to hatch out what was sold and advertised to me.If the weather is sunny tomorrow afternoon,I will try to get side by side pics of my IB B/S and this mutt Midnight B/S ,,and you won't be able to tell any diffrence,,
I sent this breeder an e-mail days ago about this issue,,I see he has read the e-mail,but not responded back,,(only benefit of both him and me using aol is checking status of sent e-mails)

Ok sounds like you got a bs split midnight......i have seen many reason people dont get what a breeder ,thought they would produce.....even peahen had been with other peacock two weeks before.or they missed their midnight bs were splits midnights.

You will be surprise how many make mistake. On what off spring they think they will get.

Learning these "mistakes" two years afterwards really p---es me off!! And the fact they won't respond back to my e-mail also raises the temperature some.I had a certain guideline when I decided to get into peas,and that was NOT to run them all together and not have any clue as to what was genetically in the eggs.I've seen too many people use the word "Suprise" when selling eggs,,because they do not take the time to pen seperately or keep accurate records,,the person who sold me these Midnight B/S eggs has a huge website,seemed to have 25 seperate pens of peacocks,,eggs was distinctly marked as to the pen number,,ect,,,I paid extra for "PURE" eggs of one specific color,,,and since they now are not as sold they are in my vocabulary as "Suprise" eggs for anything they produce,,exactly what I DID NOT WANT getting started.

Back
Top Bottom