Midwinter's Bath - Way too many pictures, don't click here if you don't want to see ducks.

I am where it is cold, Alberta,Canada......it was +5 Celsius and i filled the kiddie pool......they had a real pool party!!! ......lol

Cheers!
Wow! that seems awful warm since you are just to the north of us. Just as a point of reference, when I did the tub party, it hadn't gone above -10C in about 6 weeks and the lows were around -25C. In their pool party it had gotten up close to 0C. (Snow in the direct sun was melting a little).

Wow! that seems awful warm since you are just to the north of us. Just as a point of reference, when I did the tub party, it hadn't gone above -10C in about 6 weeks and the lows were around -25C. In their pool party it had gotten up close to 0C. (Snow in the direct sun was melting a little).
Ya'll make my bones hurt talking about how cold you get.
hide.gif

@Tevyes Dad How is Casey doing all healed and back with her family now[her other family that is]

Ya'll make my bones hurt talking about how cold you get.
hide.gif

@Tevyes Dad How is Casey doing all healed and back with her family now[her other family that is]
Casey is doing well. We haven't let her got back outside yet for a couple reasons.

* She is at the end of her molt and is starting to grow back the feathers she will need to face the cold.
* We are still getting sub 0F nights and since she hasn't seen anything below about 68F in over a month, we want to at least wait until the lows are 10F or higher.
* The snow/poop/straw lasagna that is in the ducks secure pen right now makes it difficult to set up Kaine & Tevye's "jail" and we want to give her at least a week where she can deal with the rest of the flock before she has to deal with the boys.
* She is absolutely delightful and sooooo tame now and despite the extra work, I think @MamaDux has mixed feelings about losing her house duck.

She really likes when I sing "Little White Duck" to her (No I won't record it). Ducks don't have the vocal apparatus that a parrot or a budgie (or a raven for that matter) have, but my singing to her makes me think they are just as attuned to sound. She definitely likes simpler, bouncier songs over more complicated or slower songs. She will be quiet and listen, and she cocks her head just like a parrot or budgie would, so I think she is learning the sounds just like a parrot or budgie, she just can't repeat them.

It's so cool how attuned ducks are to the environment! They look for hawks, respond to different words and tones, and listen to music! And anyone who says ducks don't have different personalities has never owned a duck before
wink.png

How long has Casey been inside the house?

@Tevyes Dad You maybe surprised one morning with her singing Out Zippity Do Dah Zippity Yay My oh my what a wonderful day. Just because her mom and dad like to sing too.

I am glad she has settled in so well I agree going back in those temps would make me want to be a house duck too.
smile.png

~Since I can't seem to figure out how to properly reply - ever~ @Tevyes Dad re: losing Casey as a house duck -- Yes, I have thought about it. She is sooo cute and sweet and I will miss her a lot BUT I really want my mornings and my lunch hour back as well as my lazy evenings.. Not to mention a feather free house (well, one can hope..)

Back
Top Bottom