Might move soon...advice for moving with chickens?

PioneerChicks

Naturalist
Sep 4, 2019
Idaho -- currently roadschooling
My Coop
My Coop
We might be moving soon! I'm pretty excited. But I'm worried about how we'll move the chickens.

The house we're looking into is 3 1/2 to 4 hours away. I can probably bring one coop, and we can build another there.

I will definitely be downsizing my flock, hopefully to under 10 chickens.

Any advice for transporting the coop and chickens? What chicken supplies would you bring, and what would you leave?

First, if you're crossing state lines make sure that it's legal to transport the chickens through every state you'll pass through.

Second, make sure that you have proper facilities available as soon as you arrive.

If you're still good, put them into pet carriers and move them at night when they'll be quieter and less stressed. :)

Will the coop fit on/into a trailer or will you have to break it down and then reassemble it?

Any advice for transporting the coop and chickens?
What does the coop look like? Size and how it is built. How will it be transported, will it be out in the open or inside a closed area?

In Idaho and soon probably means the weather will be pretty chilly. In any case you want them out of the wind, they can dehydrate and get pretty cold with wind chill. That may be in the coop or some kind of crates.

3-1/2 to 4 hours away probably translates to close to 5 hours from the time you load the chickens until you unload them and can feed and water them. As long as they are out of a wind they can survive that long. After all, nights are longer than that and they don't eat and drink then.

What chicken supplies would you bring, and what would you leave?
I don't now what you have at the new location or what you have that you can bring. At the new location you need a way to house them that is predator proof and think about weather. You will need to feed and water them. You'll probably want bedding for the nests the day you get there. If you use bedding in your coop you can probably wait a day or two for that. What do you need to take or already have there so you can do that?

We might be moving soon! I'm pretty excited. But I'm worried about how we'll move the chickens.

The house we're looking into is 3 1/2 to 4 hours away. I can probably bring one coop, and we can build another there.

I will definitely be downsizing my flock, hopefully to under 10 chickens.

Any advice for transporting the coop and chickens? What chicken supplies would you bring, and what would you leave?
Get some corid. I bring chicken food and my emergency kit. I second all the advice given above as well. Make sure everything is legal. Make sure you know what the chicken regulations regarding the new house is.

If you are moving across state lines, I would sell my birds and start over. IF you are, do check the laws.

3-4 hours should not upset them too much, they may not lay for a few days.

I am trying to figure out how you move a coop that far that is big enough for 10 chickens? Or what you mean by supplies?

Mrs K
First, if you're crossing state lines make sure that it's legal to transport the chickens through every state you'll pass through.

Second, make sure that you have proper facilities available as soon as you arrive.

If you're still good, put them into pet carriers and move them at night when they'll be quieter and less stressed. :)

Will the coop fit on/into a trailer or will you have to break it down and then reassemble it?
What does the coop look like? Size and how it is built. How will it be transported, will it be out in the open or inside a closed area?

In Idaho and soon probably means the weather will be pretty chilly. In any case you want them out of the wind, they can dehydrate and get pretty cold with wind chill. That may be in the coop or some kind of crates.

3-1/2 to 4 hours away probably translates to close to 5 hours from the time you load the chickens until you unload them and can feed and water them. As long as they are out of a wind they can survive that long. After all, nights are longer than that and they don't eat and drink then.

I don't now what you have at the new location or what you have that you can bring. At the new location you need a way to house them that is predator proof and think about weather. You will need to feed and water them. You'll probably want bedding for the nests the day you get there. If you use bedding in your coop you can probably wait a day or two for that. What do you need to take or already have there so you can do that?
Get some corid. I bring chicken food and my emergency kit. I second all the advice given above as well. Make sure everything is legal. Make sure you know what the chicken regulations regarding the new house is.
We should be staying in Idaho, and the house we are looking into is out of town boundaries. I just checked and don't see any poultry or animal laws in the county that will affect us.

We have a trailer to move the coop in. We can take the coop whole but we will take apart and reassemble the run.

• Check laws and regulations
  • Predator and weather proof coop (with bedding) ready or ready for set up
  • Food and water ready to set up
  • Emergency kit (including corid)
  • Be prepared for low egg production
Thank you for these tips guys! It really simplified things for me, and I'm not so worried any more. You all make it seem a lot simpler than I was thinking it would be!

We'll be making trips between the houses for a while, so we'll have time to grab things in between. But I don't want to bring all of my chicken "junk." What are some must-have things for you, and what could you do without?

When my friends moved 3 hours away, their chickens were crated up and put in a cattle trailer. When they were unloaded they found two eggs...laid on the way. They should adjust fine.
That's how I moved my chickens too, except we always use a truck.
We should be staying in Idaho, and the house we are looking into is out of town boundaries. I just checked and don't see any poultry or animal laws in the county that will affect us.

We have a trailer to move the coop in. We can take the coop whole but we will take apart and reassemble the run.

• Check laws and regulations
  • Predator and weather proof coop (with bedding) ready or ready for set up
  • Food and water ready to set up
  • Emergency kit (including corid)
  • Be prepared for low egg production
Thank you for these tips guys! It really simplified things for me, and I'm not so worried any more. You all make it seem a lot simpler than I was thinking it would be!

We'll be making trips between the houses for a while, so we'll have time to grab things in between. But I don't want to bring all of my chicken "junk." What are some must-have things for you, and what could you do without?
I NEED my emergency kit. Obviously, feeders and waterers are great too. That's basically all. If there aren't all hoes or rakes at the new place, I recommend those as well. And I do love my buckets. If you have separate flocks, buckets are a lifesaver. Maybe some golf balls too? A lot of my chickens don't lay in the box immediately after a move. Moving chickens isn't that complicated, especially if you are able to get their numbers down. You can do this!! :highfive:

Keep me posted.

That's how I moved my chickens too, except we always use a truck.

I NEED my emergency kit. Obviously, feeders and waterers are great too. That's basically all. If there aren't all hoes or rakes at the new place, I recommend those as well. And I do love my buckets. If you have separate flocks, buckets are a lifesaver. Maybe some golf balls too? A lot of my chickens don't lay in the box immediately after a move. Moving chickens isn't that complicated, especially if you are able to get their numbers down. You can do this!! :highfive:
Thank you for the comfort and advice! What is in your emergency kit?

Thank you for the comfort and advice! What is in your emergency kit?
Mostly just supplements, dewormers, syringes, permethrin dust, etc.

I only really use most of it if there are already chickens on the property. However, I always like to give them some vitamins. Several folks on BYC have recommended it to me and I think its a great idea! Moving birds on to new ground is always going to be stressful for them and that is a LONG ride!

If you check out my thread, "Quarantine Chickens," you will see a lot of great advice I have gotten from other BYC members.

Back
Top Bottom