Might move soon...advice for moving with chickens?

Mostly just supplements, dewormers, syringes, permethrin dust, etc.

I only really use most of it if there are already chickens on the property. However, I always like to give them some vitamins. Several folks on BYC have recommended it to me and I think its a great idea! Moving birds on to new ground is always going to be stressful for them and that is a LONG ride!

If you check out my thread, "Quarantine Chickens," you will see a lot of great advice I have gotten from other BYC members.
Thank you! You're prepared for whatever chicken life throws at you! :)

I’m checking in to see how your move went? I’m getting ready to move too but not so far away. Just a town over but still stressed out! I haven’t been able to find a suitable coop/run for this neighborhood which has nicer homes than my current one so was thinking of getting a pre-fab one but they all look cheaply made and crap materials and cost too much for what you get. Too small for 8 birds even though they advertise it. We built my coop now out of an old play fort and it would be difficult to move but would be so much easier and way better built.
My birds currently mostly free range but will have to train into a large run when we get there so I’m not sure how they will tolerate that either.

I’m checking in to see how your move went? I’m getting ready to move too but not so far away. Just a town over but still stressed out! I haven’t been able to find a suitable coop/run for this neighborhood which has nicer homes than my current one so was thinking of getting a pre-fab one but they all look cheaply made and crap materials and cost too much for what you get. Too small for 8 birds even though they advertise it. We built my coop now out of an old play fort and it would be difficult to move but would be so much easier and way better built.
My birds currently mostly free range but will have to train into a large run when we get there so I’m not sure how they will tolerate that either.
We've had a difficult time getting our house sold, but we're hoping to be gone by mid-October. We are actually planning on roadschooling for a few months so I sold all my chickens :( but plan to come back to get hatching eggs from them once we buy a home. I miss them very much, but I'm glad that I don't have to stress over them while we move!

Best of luck in your new home! Please keep me updated!

I know this is old but for people wanting to move with chickens that may be scanning old threads, I'll say this: chickens can travel many hours perfectly fine. I show my birds and this year alone I've traveled with more than 15 show birds from Wisconsin to Oklahoma and back, and I've gone to Alabama and back. That's in excess of 14 hours of travel with stops. I've stayed at hotel rooms with my birds many times. I do try to keep it darkish with my show Carriers that are solid on three sides. I make sure to stop and give them water often. I provide mash (their food with water mixed in to oatmeal like consistency). I make sure they're conditioned and healthy at least three month prior to shows for many reasons including their own health. I feed them 1/2 20% ration and half 30% ration. I make sure they are parasite free. I make sure to handle them plenty so it's not so stressful for you to be hands on and so close. I've never lost one bird. I see many on this thread saying they lost birds when moving. I find under the right circumstances they travel just fine. Make sure you have proper paperwork to cross state lines. NPIP is best. Or get individual test paperwork and band the birds. Check with states you travel through for additional permits and tests that may be required. A negative AI test is common now. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom