Mildred and Bumblefoot

We experienced some bumblefoot last spring. It may be too late for your girl but what our vet had us do was to make an iodine solution in a 5 gal bucket. I put a bunch of rags in there. I then took one of those shoe/boot mats and layed the rags down inside it. I laid a bale of straw along the length and put their food bowl at the end so they had to walk and stand on the soaked rags while eating. I put their water on the side of the bale because I didn't want them diluting the iodine solution.

Here's a picture of one of my "hospitals." You can see the bale of straw the goose is standing on. Lower left part of the picture is the mat with rags...I put the food bowl inside a blue plastic box that I laid on its side so they wouldn't stand in it or dump it. The water is lower right. This particular hospital did not work well with the goose, but worked great for the ducks. It took six weeks for the ducks to clear up. This was after the vet had cleaned out the cottage cheese like bit of the infection.

It sounds like the infection your duck is experiencing has become more infected. I'm not sure if this same sort of set-up will work. You may want to make an iodine solution that you manually soak her feet in a few times a day.

We experienced some bumblefoot last spring. It may be too late for your girl but what our vet had us do was to make an iodine solution in a 5 gal bucket. I put a bunch of rags in there. I then took one of those shoe/boot mats and layed the rags down inside it. I laid a bale of straw along the length and put their food bowl at the end so they had to walk and stand on the soaked rags while eating. I put their water on the side of the bale because I didn't want them diluting the iodine solution.

Here's a picture of one of my "hospitals." You can see the bale of straw the goose is standing on. Lower left part of the picture is the mat with rags...I put the food bowl inside a blue plastic box that I laid on its side so they wouldn't stand in it or dump it. The water is lower right. This particular hospital did not work well with the goose, but worked great for the ducks. It took six weeks for the ducks to clear up. This was after the vet had cleaned out the cottage cheese like bit of the infection.

It sounds like the infection your duck is experiencing has become more infected. I'm not sure if this same sort of set-up will work. You may want to make an iodine solution that you manually soak her feet in a few times a day.

Sure would be worth a try at this point. Iodine is fairly inexpensive..

I will try the iodine. I will try anything I can at this point. Another night of cleaning out gunk....poor Mildred. Got a big 'core' out last night after spending a couple hours soaking and probing and searching, cleaning, soaking, bandaging, and packing it with antibiotic....poor Mildred. I don't think the epsom salts would hurt, but I will get some Iodine today and try that. Can't believe that re-opening it is good for her, but ---- hopefully the swelling will be down today and there won't be anything hard discernible. Told my husband last night....not a vet here...keep wondering if I am doing more harm than good. It wishes and effort counted for anything.....

Last edited:
I was talking with you about Mildred on Facebook earlier and just saw your post. I hope Mildred is recovering well from her latest round of bumblefoot surgery. Are you filling the hole where the pus was with anything? Neosporin, etc?

Rainplace gives good advice, I've actually seen the bumblefoot treatment setup she's recommending and it does work!

That's the tough thing about farm animals. They are pets, but they're also livestock. The decision on whether or not to seek vet treatment is a difficult one, as those of us who keep farm-type pets prefer to handle treatment on our own and can't pay the huge bills you'd rack up for treatment. It's a very personal decision and I respect each for making the right decision for themselves, but lots of duck owners would rather cull than pay a vet bill.

If you ever do need a waterfowl vet, Dr. Ford is a great guy!

I sure hope your seeing signs of improvement, I just soaked my big drakes foot in the iodine bath, his doesn't look like bumble foot though but tonight when my dh can help I am going to inspect it better then try to treat. his doesn't have the blk scab but there is somerthing in the middle, no swelling or heat but he's been limping on it.
idunno.gif

big_smile.png
Hopeful smile. I just went in and changed the bandage. There is no swelling at all on the top or bottom of her foot. No scab, just a healing incision where I cut her open. She's fooled me before, but I am hopeful. And she is just plain ornery! Eating, biting (I deserve it), and seems much improved. Had really packed the neosporin in the wound early in the week. Got some iodine. She got a half hour soak in epson salts tonight.

It looks so much better - after being convinced there was absolutely no hope earlier in the week. Maybe?

Just worried that the infection has been in her system too long. But maybe?

Keeping my Bag Balm handy anytime I see the slightest thing on anyone's feet!!!!

I sure hope your seeing signs of improvement, I just soaked my big drakes foot in the iodine bath, his doesn't look like bumble foot though but tonight when my dh can help I am going to inspect it better then try to treat. his doesn't have the blk scab but there is somerthing in the middle, no swelling or heat but he's been limping on it.
idunno.gif

Hope he's okay! I am paranoid about duck feet now....everybody gets inspected every night. Amazes me how fast they can get a real problem!

Back
Top Bottom