Mille Cochin Info

Quote:
***Swoon***

I think I am in love!!!! Please put in a box and send my way! k thanx

I TOTALLY agree~! Your little pullet looks just like two I have, Cloud & Cirrus.
smile.png

18946_breeder_mfc_pullets_for_2010_008.jpg

Cloud -this pic was taken last fall. She has filled out & is a real beauty now.

Kim if you are interested in one with this coloration, I have a few of her daughters that are available.

Lynne,

I was just emailing you as you posted that response. Yes!! I would be very interested if you have some that color.

** Slips Cloud into pocket and runs away while Lynne is not looking **

Last edited:
Here is a picture of two of the MF chicks that I have hatched out so far. I will try and take pictures of the other chicks tomorrow. Here is the little yellow guy with the strange blue/grey stripe.

MFChicks2.jpg

MFChicks1.jpg

I had three chipmunk colored chicks but one was born very very wobbly and seemed to have an issue staying upright. We kept him in the house for the last three days and he seemed to be improving every day. He was eating and drinking and growing but lastnight I found him dead. I am so heartbroken. He was silver colored with grey colored chipmunk stripes. I bet he would have been a beauty.

Hey, everybody!
frow.gif

I have a question that some of you may can answer or at least help me ponder.
On our Mille Fleur Cochin list we have talked about green feet in some of the chicks. As a few of you know about me I do not look at my chicks until they have grown up enough for me to evaluate. Keeps me from getting too attached (yeah, right!
gig.gif
) and I look them over better as they grow up.

I spent yesterday going through my chicks and looking over quite a few of them since I have so darned many of the things. I noticed that some of the ones that are Mottled/MF bred have green feet or splashes or spots of green on the feet. My MFC that do not have Mottled in them do not have any green.
Those of you that have bred in Mottleds to your MFC projects, have you noticed this on yours?
Could it be that breeding in the black from the Mottleds is causing the green color? And I wonder how many generations before it doesn't show up again? Or could there be a modifier that will cause this to pop up later when another MFC with the same modifier is bred? (Does that make any sense?
idunno.gif
)

Here is one of my boys I noticed it on first. I also have a few girls that have grown enough for me to look closely at and they have it but I haven't gotten photos of them yet.

9332_green_feet.jpg

So I posted this in its own topic but it quickly got buried and didn't recieve a lot of responses. So I decided that I would be better off posting it here, since it has to do with breeding MF's. I recently purchased a rooster from a local petting zoo that was going out of business. I posted him in here to try and figure out what color he is. The seller didn't have a clue and I haven't been able to figure it out myself. He is mostly black and white with lots of buff and red streaks on his back, neck, and chest. He also has some blue/grey going on in his tail. The only responses I got originally were from someone who guessed that he has some crele going on and another that said he definitely carries that barred gene. I would like to see if anyone else in here has any guesses on his color and I would also like to know if he would be a good match for my MF program. I am concerned that the barred gene would effect or even cancel out the MF pattern. If this is a newbie question then I do apologize. I know I still have a lot to learn about chicken genetics. I am always willing to try something just to see what I get but I didn't want to make a mistake if its something that others have already tried and gotten poor results.
So here he is, my little Sayid.

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

Oh, and I was able to get a few pictures of some of my chicks today so I thought I would go ahead and share.

Chipmunk100.jpg

Chipmunk101.jpg

YellowChick101.jpg

YellowChick100.jpg

What cute pics everyone. La Unica, your chicks are adorable... and the roo is too though I would not use him for your mf project. He is what I would call a "banny cochin" He has no variety to cling to... looks like he has some barring, maybe some white and maybe some mottled
idunno.gif
Mille fleur is hard enough... actually, it's been call the most difficult pattern to get right by the experts. Mille fleur is even difficult to get right in belgium d'uccles who are well known as "mille fleurs" because of that variety's popularity. I would definitely use a roo who's lineage you know will benefit your project instead of tossing the dice in the air and seeing where they land.

Everyone is inendated with roos. Im sure if you post on here that you are looking for a nice one for free and would give him a wonderful home, you will begin to see pms. Pay to ship him and you'll be several generations ahead of the game than where you stand with that roo (if it's even possible to get to mf with him.. which, most likely, it is not)

Im glad to be of assistance
lol.png

Last edited:
He is a beautiful roo but I would not use him in the MF project either. There does seem to be a lot of other things going on in his color. I first thought splash but he has some barring it looks like.

I have plenty of roos from my project birds if you want to drive down and get one or more. I am even thinking of parting with my original foundation roo but he is so gorgeous now I am not sure I can let him go. His sons are handsome too, though.
Here is an updated photo of my foundation roo. He sure has matured in the last 8 months. He is going on 2 years old.

9332_red_roo.jpg

Some of his sons.....

9332_back_of_col_roo.jpg

9332_hes_for_sale.jpg

9332_needs_to_go.jpg

9332_keepers_side.jpg

And some of his daughters.........

9332_5_mth_pullet.jpg

9332_mamas_pretty.jpg

9332_1_of_my_favs.jpg

9332_5_mth_old_mf_pullet.jpg

9332_pullet_3_mths.jpg

I may have a decent start but I am still working with a few new roos and hens. I am hatching MFC chicks every week. This is such a fun adventure!

Hi there! Just though I would post some pics of my new babies I hatched out April 23rd from Lynne. I had a third chipmonk striped baby hatch but was very weak and died overnight
sad.png
First pic is at a few days old and the other two are today.
22351_p1040953.jpg

22351_p1050029.jpg

22351_p1050030.jpg

I am thinking that the one with white is a roo already.. lots of posturing and he's a brave one! lol. I was hoping to get a nice roo out of these eggs to go with the girls I hatched last year.
22351_p1040330.jpg

It's gonna be an exciting year!
Sara

I love the look of this breed. We just got chickens this spring and the are wonderful. I would really like to get some chicks of this kind and was wondering where you are all getting yours? I live in Wyoming and haven't seen or found a place on line to get them.

Back
Top Bottom