Mille Fleur?

breezy

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Sand Coulee MT
I dont know much about chickens as far as colors,patterns and genetics and am hoping to learn more. Do I understand correctly the the term Mille Fleur refers not to coloring but to a pattern? What colors can comprise Mille fleur? Are there birds with mille fleur in green? Im thinking of the kind of shimmery green that shows up on black birds like a jersey giant. Thanks for any help with my questions

Quote:
Yes Mille Fleur is a Pattern and not a color..

What colors can comprise Mille fleur?

Black, White and Red-ish Orange

The Mille Fleur is made up of
e wh -- wheaten down color. Wheaten/whitish colored female. Male Red/Silver hackle and saddle, with a black breast.

s -- sex link gold, we want a red bird, not a white/silver one. Now we have a Gold Wheaten instead of a Silver Wheaten.

Co -- columbian Removes the black from the breast of the male. Now we have a Buff Columbian. Makes males and females the same color.

mo -- mottled. recessive 2 genes required. This adds the black bar and white dot. to the end of the feather. Now we have a Mille Fleur!!!

If we add one gene of Bl we will have a Blue Mille Fleur. If we add 2 genes we will have a Golden Neck.

Take the same Mile Fleur that we just built. If lav -- lavender is added in 2 doses (it's recessive) we will have a Porcelain.

To make Mottled...
E -- extended black down. Black male and female with red/silver in hackles and saddle

s -- sex link gold Mine have sex link gold, but silver would work.

mi -- melanotic. This covers the normally red/silver areas of chickens black. Now we have a black bird.

mo -- Mottled recessive so 2 genes are required. This adds the black bar (not seen on a black bird) and white spot at the end of the feather. A mottled bird is built.

If we take the Black bird designed above add Bl --Blue we will have a blue bird.

If we take the same Black bird designed above and add lav-- lavender ( 2 genes required as it is recessive) we would have a self blue.

If we take again the same Black bird designed above and add c -- recessive white( again 2 genes required as it is recessive) we would have a white bird.

If we take the mottled bird "built" above and add Bl --blue we will have a blue mottled.

Chris​

WOW! Thanks. Color and pattern genetics in birds are way more complicated than they are in dogs. That was really cool and very helpful. My admiration for those of you working on creating specific traits just went way up.

Quote:
Hi Breezy! Where in Arvada are you, and what do you raise? I'm in Arvada, too.

Anyway, in the Bantam Standard, Mille Fleur Plumage is described as (paraphrasing here) brilliant light orange vermillion, each feather tipped with a V or diamond-shaped white spangle, with a v-shaped black bar dividing the white from the rest of the feather. This varies slightly for each different body part, i.e. head, neck, back, wings, etc. Some body parts are bay rather than vermillion; some call for the "chevrons" on every feather tip' some body parts the "chevron" needs to be on at least every other feather, etc.

As a Plumage Color, Mille Fleur (meaning 1000 flowers) has been Standardized in several different breeds. It is a non-standardized (basically a work-in progress or 'project') in several more breeds.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Im not far from Olde Town approximately 61st and Carr. Where are you located? I have 3 buff orps and 1 jersey giant. Just backyard egg laying pets that make me laugh and lay really tasty eggs. My mom keeps telling me no matter how hard I try I cant turn city into country but since I cant afford country living Im doing my best to bring country to me.

I actually asked about the mille fleur because I was dreaming about chickens last night and in my dream someone gave me mille fleur hens that were green orange and black. They were really pretty in my dream at least
hu.gif
I know... Im weird. Someone tells me that at least once a day lol

I've never shown before, but I am thinking about showing her this fall - just because she is a "project" color that a bunch of breeders are working on, and we need to start showing them and getting some professional opinions as to their quality.

Back
Top Bottom