Mille fleur bantam cochin spangled pekin project

Pics

Willawong Hill

Songster
Apr 28, 2020
Queensland, Australia
Hi all
Since the old thread stopped I thought I'd start a new one for everyone working on this project around the world- hence the multiple names in the tittle. Please introduce your chickens and show us all where you're up to. I'm only just starting with a recently purchased quad. Looking to start breeding in spring here is Australia. This is my rooster, Gregory Peck
20210706_141100.jpg

I also have a hen, little red, from the same breeder.
20210706_140544.jpg

And two pullets. The lighter Millie is from the same breeder and the darker Peggy s the only egg I managed to hatch out of 23 from various breeders.
20210706_140736.jpg
20210706_140814.jpg

So that s a start. @Birdie2019 And @AngBantamLuv And anyone else working on the project please feel free to join in!

Oh no! 😭

I can't see feet, and profile shots (from the side) are more helpful... But the more buff colored bird appears more correct.

Gregory peck definitely has pinkish feet, but peggys are a nice yellow. I do need to get some better pics once theyve finished their moult, millie in particular is missing some feathers but little red has a better shape still. I know Peggy hatched out dark brown with chipmunk stripes so I'm guess she at least isn't Wheaton based.

Gregory peck definitely has pinkish feet, but peggys are a nice yellow. I do need to get some better pics once theyve finished their moult, millie in particular is missing some feathers but little red has a better shape still. I know Peggy hatched out dark brown with chipmunk stripes so I'm guess she at least isn't Wheaton based.
Which one is Peggy?

Hello. Glad a new one was started. Hope it blows up, just like the old one did.

I got my first chicks from a farm here in Florida, and this is the pair that was their parents:
0FB003F4-7965-44E3-B689-61ADB607C9D3.jpeg
I was just starting with chickens and didn’t know about chicken type/breeding/the MF color itself. I referred to these guys as Calico, yet they were Millie Fleur. We purchased a trio and after we lost one free ranging, we took the pair and bred them. They are wheaten based.
53FEFA50-F007-41A0-AA68-1FAA0D973E06.jpeg 20CB616C-FF54-4AC2-9396-7EF8E2B95900.jpeg
And though these guys (and their parents) had bad type, you can tell they were hiding something a tad bit better underneath because I got a nice pair out of them before the hen passed away. (We tried breeding the hen to this rooster above but it didn’t work due to issues on both sides.) Introducing Cashew (cock) and Casey (pullet)
9EE486F6-727E-44EC-87DC-6ED2848E6B2F.jpeg 5AE13A0D-F34F-48E7-BC7F-CB148BE9963E.jpeg A7336489-797F-4639-92F4-69FB8CE524FE.jpeg E3CBEC41-9116-4613-B879-449E2649812B.jpeg
I love Cashew’s type. If you take the first rooster and compare him to Cashew, you wouldn’t even think they’re related. (Maybe you would, but he’s improved a lot!)

I know that’s a lot to process, but Cashew and Casey are the most important to remember. I know I’m bad with names, so it will take me a bit to put a name to face (for both people AND chickens), but I’ll figure it out. So glad we got a new thread going :celebrate

Do you think the lighter buff or more mahogany colour is more correct?
Your lighter buff, Millie is a tad too light for me. She’s a little desaturated and if you compare to the D’uccles, you can see the difference. I, personally, would like to stay away from the dark browns of Peggy and mixing wheaten x partridge based as partridge has an undesired color/smutty feather pattern, but many people have done good with that base. It evenly spreads the followers more throughout the feathers. 932FFBA9-2D81-4CB2-AA0B-C0C6CA10EA24.jpeg
On the other hand, Little Red looks absolutely amazing! She has the best type of the three, best flowering IMO, plus the correct base color. She will probably make you your best babies, but because you are just starting out (and need to increase numbers), still hatch eggs from all hens. Make sure to cull for type because if you have color, type is nothing.

Just to add something: I may be wrong, I may be right. It’s just my opinion and each has their own.

Back
Top Bottom