Millie Fleur Japanese Bantams

Bertram

In the timeout corner
Premium Feather Member
Feb 23, 2023
Does anyone have Millie Fleur Japanese or have heard of them? I have Millie Fleur D'uccles and a Black Tailed Buff Japanese hen that I plan to breed together then breed the chicks back to the mom. If anyone has advice, that would be appreciated.

Yes I have some! This crossing started my brown red mottled D’Uccles project I’ve been working on for 3 years know. I used a brown red jap over Millie Fleur D’Uccles
90E4FBF1-57D6-43F6-90B0-0F7B0C41913F.jpeg
4D54E3A4-AD3E-41A6-81A7-418EC346CB44.jpeg

Does anyone have Millie Fleur Japanese or have heard of them? I have Millie Fleur D'uccles and a Black Tailed Buff Japanese hen that I plan to breed together then breed the chicks back to the mom. If anyone has advice, that would be appreciated.
The mottling gene (makes the little white and black dots) is recessive.

So when you make the first cross, the chicks will carry the mottling gene but not show it. Breeding them back to the Japanese will give some chicks that carry mottling and some that do not, but none that will show it. You could test those chicks by breeding them to Mille Fleurs, and if you get any chicks that show mottling you will know that their parent had the gene. Test-mating works but is a nuisance.

You can make the first cross and then breed back to the Mille Fleur. That will give about 50% chicks that show mottling, and 50% that carry it without showing it. This will give you a lot more d'Uccle traits than Japanese traits, so probably not the best choice in your case.

If I were doing the project, I would probably make the first cross, then breed the crossed birds together and hatch a large number of chicks. About 1/4 of them should show mottling. Of those, select one that has the most Japanese traits, and breed it to the pure Japanese to get another generation of crosses that carry mottling (while showing more Japanese traits than the first crosses did.)

You can continue that pattern for as many generations as you need: cross mottled to Japanese, then breed crosses together to find another mottled one, cross that mottled to Japanese, breed crosses together again.

At some point, you should have birds that show mottling and look like Japanese. At that point, of course you can just keep breeding them together to get more of the same.

Yes I have some! This crossing started my brown red mottled D’Uccles project I’ve been working on for 3 years know. I used a brown red jap over Millie Fleur D’Uccles View attachment 3633892View attachment 3633893
Birds are from the crossing first crossing.
For got to mention that my purebred Brown red jap carries the mottled gene which is why my birds are mottled. 3/4 were mottled, 3/4 had muffs/beard and 2/4 had tiny vulture hocks (hard feathers that shoot off the hocks)

Know in my project I have stumbled across two types of mottleing, D’Uccles mottling and Japanese mottling. When I bred my F1s together (not back to Jap) I got more D’Uccles characteristics which I needed.
Agree with NatJ.

The mottling gene (makes the little white and black dots) is recessive.

So when you make the first cross, the chicks will carry the mottling gene but not show it. Breeding them back to the Japanese will give some chicks that carry mottling and some that do not, but none that will show it. You could test those chicks by breeding them to Mille Fleurs, and if you get any chicks that show mottling you will know that their parent had the gene. Test-mating works but is a nuisance.

You can make the first cross and then breed back to the Mille Fleur. That will give about 50% chicks that show mottling, and 50% that carry it without showing it. This will give you a lot more d'Uccle traits than Japanese traits, so probably not the best choice in your case.

If I were doing the project, I would probably make the first cross, then breed the crossed birds together and hatch a large number of chicks. About 1/4 of them should show mottling. Of those, select one that has the most Japanese traits, and breed it to the pure Japanese to get another generation of crosses that carry mottling (while showing more Japanese traits than the first crosses did.)

You can continue that pattern for as many generations as you need: cross mottled to Japanese, then breed crosses together to find another mottled one, cross that mottled to Japanese, breed crosses together again.

At some point, you should have birds that show mottling and look like Japanese. At that point, of course you can just keep breeding them together to get more of the same.
Thank you. That was all very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom