millions of bugs in chick crumbs!

LouBear

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 3, 2013
I keep my chicken feed in clear plastic tubs and noticed the chick food seemed to have spores in it but on closer inspection its millions on tiney white bugs! they are not in the layer pellets only the chick crumbs has anyone else found this i'm worried they may be lice or mites! HELP

I keep my chicken feed in clear plastic tubs and noticed the chick food seemed to have spores in it but on closer inspection its millions on tiney white bugs! they are not in the layer pellets only the chick crumbs has anyone else found this i'm worried they may be lice or mites! HELP

how long have you had this feed? I'd try to take it back to the store for a refund. If the feed is infested with bugs, they're eating the nutrient that should be going to your chicks... not to mention the risk of the bugs migrating to your kitchen. Be sure you clean the area where the feed is stored thoroughly before putting new feed in the tubs.

thanks for your reply ive had the food about a week and its the first time ive brought feed from this pet store so I think i will give them a ring! ive checked all the chicks over and no sign of lice or mites so hopefully its just some kind of food bug, I could feel them crawling all over my arms! YUCK!!

I'd get that food out of your house/away from your other feed. Once we had bugs come into our house in a feed bag. We didn't notice right away, and they left the bag, and found their way into our pantry. It was SO gross. We had to throw out so much food and it took so long to finally get rid of them. I don't take any chances now! I've noticed bugs in multiple bags I've bought in the past, from different stores. So it's not uncommon.

I agree that you should get that bag of feed isolated from every other grain product and anyplace you store chicken feed. You most likely have grain mites; the good news is that they aren't directly harmful to chickens.

yes they do look like mites. thank god they are not harmful to the chickens
big_smile.png
weve gotten rid of all the food and washed out all the tubs hopefully thats got on top of it

Back
Top Bottom