Mini advanced Brinsea incubator

shauntell79

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2016
Hi everyone. Tomorrow is lockdown for my chicken eggs but I am full of anxiety. I worry if I put too much water in the pot inside the incubator, the humidity will be too high but if I don't put enough water in then the humidity will be too low and I will have to take the lid off the incubator and risk potentially drying out the membranes of the chicks if they begin to pip. Can anyone help me

@new 2 pfowl,

I'm not sure how I ended up here either. Thanks for sending me in the right direction.

@owen
I do have a gauge but it's off by about 10 give or take. My concern would be if the humidity happens to drop, should I open to put more water in...

Hi @shauntell79 , hatching is part-science & part art/experience ... and part luck
hide.gif
It's a bit traumatic if you have a soft heart... you have to be emotionally able to endure some losses, sad as that is. The good news is that chickens are easier than peas for beginners. Also, if you read very many posts, even for chickens, you will find that some people swear by one setting and some by another -- which tells you that there really are a variety of settings which work.

Optimum humidity can also vary based on the altitude where you are trying to hatch, as at high altitudes, there's a trade-off between humidity and oxygen availability... not likely to apply to you unless your altitude is high enough to need adjustments when you bake or cook.

I don't think it's worth getting twitter-pated over "lockdown" -- sure, you don't want to be digging around in there anymore than you have to, but sometimes you have to. Patience and mellow/calm will carry you through.

Anyway, glad you are here, and hope you will stick around. Sooner or later, you might need some peas! They are rather addictive, and quite fun birds and once you get the hang of hatching, they are soooo cool!
jumpy.gif

Welcome to the peafowl forum
frow.gif

Hi @shauntell79
, hatching is part-science & part art/experience ... and part luck :oops:   It's a bit traumatic if you have a soft heart...  you have to be emotionally able to endure some losses, sad as that is. The good news is that chickens are easier than peas for beginners.  Also, if you read very many posts, even for chickens, you will find that some people swear by one setting and some by another -- which tells you that there really are a variety of settings which work. 

Optimum humidity can also vary based on the altitude where you are trying to hatch, as at high altitudes, there's a trade-off between humidity and oxygen availability...  not likely to apply to you unless your altitude is high enough to need adjustments when you bake or cook.

I don't think it's worth getting twitter-pated over "lockdown" -- sure, you don't want to be digging around in there anymore than you have to, but sometimes you have to.  Patience and mellow/calm will carry you through.

Anyway, glad you are here, and hope you will stick around.  Sooner or later, you might need some peas!  They are rather addictive, and quite fun birds  and once you get the hang of hatching, they are soooo cool!  :jumpy

Welcome to the peafowl forum :frow

Very well said GP!
1f44d.png

Gerald Barker

Hi everyone. Tomorrow is lockdown for my chicken eggs but I am full of anxiety. I worry if I put too much water in the pot inside the incubator, the humidity will be too high but if I don't put enough water in then the humidity will be too low and I will have to take the lid off the incubator and risk potentially drying out the membranes of the chicks if they begin to pip. Can anyone help me

Membranes don't dry that quickly and only after pipping and those minis recover in 2minutes you could open that incubator 50 times and it wouldnt affect anything. Water in 1/2 until "lockdown" and then in both sides. Don't worry about the humidity that much it is the most forgiving factor.

Back
Top Bottom