Mini apple yard duck coughing up stones

Blossomblue

Chirping
Oct 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Hello All,
Hope you can help me,
One of my 6 month old ducks, has recently started laying. A couple of days ago she regurgitated some quite large stones.
She free ranges, is on a layer feed with a good calcium content and has grit.
I went and got some oyster shell grit in case she was looking for more calcium. But she has done it again tonight, is this normal?

Do you know the source of the stones ? If it is possible, I would exclude her from the area where she is getting them. Depending upon size I worry about her becoming impacted.

Does she appear to be any pain or acting out of the ordinary besides the vomiting? I almost wonder if it's not Bike Duct Stones...

Interesting! I don’t know much about ducks but I found this article that talks about the stones (Gastroliths) and of the stone become smooth pebbles then the bird will vomit them out. Perhaps the grit you are offering is too smooth? Or maybe the duck is ingesting too many of them so there are many rounded pebbles in her gizzard that she is ridding of? I also found another article about feeding a proper diet to ducks since I had no idea you could feed waterfowl a chicken diet haha. You may already know this but the right diet depends on whether your duck is a laying duck or a meat duck. It also mentions that oyster shells are not necessary if the egg shell is normal. Here is the article: https://www.forthebirdsdvm.com/pages/care-and-feeding-of-pet-ducks
I hope this helps!!!

Interesting! I don’t know much about ducks but I found this article that talks about the stones (Gastroliths) and of the stone become smooth pebbles then the bird will vomit them out. Perhaps the grit you are offering is too smooth? Or maybe the duck is ingesting too many of them so there are many rounded pebbles in her gizzard that she is ridding of? I also found another article about feeding a proper diet to ducks since I had no idea you could feed waterfowl a chicken diet haha. You may already know this but the right diet depends on whether your duck is a laying duck or a meat duck. It also mentions that oyster shells are not necessary if the egg shell is normal. Here is the article: https://www.forthebirdsdvm.com/pages/care-and-feeding-of-pet-ducks
I hope this helps!!!
Thanks I'll have a read :caf

Back
Top Bottom