1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mini Appleyards vs Australian Spotted Versus Campbells

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cottagechick, Jan 7, 2012.

1. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    I have bantam chickens. I decided to go with them for a number of reasons instead of lf. I would like to get two ducks. At first I wanted to get Muscovies...but I am not so sure now. Since I already have dwarf chickens I don't know if I want giant ducks.... As with chickens I think that I need EVERY breed when I am reading about it. But since I only want to get two....or was it three? I was leaning towards the Campbells...because they really aren't that much bigger than my Bantys, right? But I think the Australian Spotted are so cute...you get the pictures....so what are the best and worst things about these breeds? Any advice that might sway me either way?

2. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    my drake did mount my chickens, and he was rough too
    [​IMG]

3. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Quote:Hmmm...well I have been going back and forth between just two girls and two girls and a boy...but if I just got two girls...anybody have any thoughts on the breeds?

4. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    I've got 10 Australian Spotted ducks and love them, all except for 1 very loud female. I have 6 females and 4 males, and only 1 of the girls is persistently quacking. These are this past Spring's 3 hatchlings, their last year's parents, and the original male and female that I hatched a few years ago. They are great little ducks...beautiful to look at and easy to keep.
    I don't know about the other kind of duck...other than the large breeds can kill Banty hens...I had a large Black Swedish drake mount and kill a small black Bantam hen years ago....

5. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I had 2 female khakis, and 1 male khaki. That khaki boy was the sweetest thing ever, it completly KILLED me to sell him. But they went to a great home [​IMG] he was a sweety.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by