Mini Barn Coop

As far as the run, I actually am considering allowing my chickens into the same pen as my 3 goats. I've researched and haven't found any reason that I should be concerned about any health issues. If I was to do this, I would have the back of the coop up against the goat pen fence, cut a hole in the back and let the in via a ramp out a pop hole. The goats have a 6' fence (2"x4" grid) that is large enough that the chickens would pretty much free range in the pen. I think the goats would help any neighborhood dogs from harassing the chickens.

If anyone has any experience mixing livestock, I would be glad to hear of suggestions.

Jeff....that's an adorable coop. Nice job, and congrats for involving your sons in the project...great learning experience for all of you. It's amazing how much those little sponges can soak up ! Our boys, now 41 and 37 helped all the time when they were young and grew up to be very capable young men that we're very proud of.
Liz
Rochester, MA

On to the roof! What would a old barn be without a shake roof shingles? Needless to say, I didn't take a count of how many shingles I would actually have to make when I started this project!

First I coated the plywood with clear silicone caulk. I troweled in on to provide a smooth waterproof surface in which to apply the shingles. The shingles are 3/4" wide by 1 1/2" split wood. BTW it takes awhile to split almost 8000 shingles! I'm about halfway done.

These next pics are the kids gluing on the shingles with clear silicone.

45163_hpim4102.jpg

45163_hpim4106.jpg

45163_hpim4108.jpg

Last edited:
That is sooo cool (love old barns) and I love the fact your boys are helping you out-awesome! You've definitely got to post a pic of it when it completed and situated by your goat pen, it's gonna be a stunner!

Just checked back and saw the recent pics, can you say AMAZING?!!!

Last edited:
The shed roof was a little beyond the capabilities of my two sons. It is hinged at the connection under the shake roof so the whole lid can be lifted to access the nests for collecting eggs. The roosts will be in the large "barn" area.

I used translucent fiberglass corregated roofing material. I wanted to be able to let some more light into the coop so that is wasn't so dark inside. The frame has one by two rafters with the wavy purlins morticed into the rafters. All the joints are glued and is surprisingly rigid and not heavy at all.
45163_hpim4111.jpg

45163_hpim4113.jpg

45163_hpim4112.jpg

Some final pics for this weekend. The gable end door is going to be covered with mesh on the inside. I can open it to allow for ventilation. All the windows also have mesh, but can also be closed by sliding plexiglass "windows" into a grove from the inside of the coop. This will allow me to adjust the ventilation as needed.
45163_hpim4114.jpg

45163_hpim4109.jpg

45163_hpim4110.jpg

The size of the whole thing rests on a 4' x 8' platform. The height at the peak of the barn is a little over four feet. The main barn and the shed each take up their own half of the platform so the footprint of each is basically 4' x 4'.

This is so cool! What a great family project and much more memorable a weekend than plugged in to some electronic gaming system. You're workers are very lucky young men.

Back
Top Bottom