Mini Barn Coop

Jeff in Colorado

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 29, 2009
Carbondale
Well after plenty of research and an upcoming 10 days alone with the kids, I decided to build a chicken coop. While my wife was away on vacation, I figured it would be a good project to work on to keep the kids occupied instead of the normal x-box and TV routine.

I decided to do something a bit special, a scaled down version of an old barn. I think I may have gotten a bit carried away with the details. Here are some pics of the progress. (if I can figure out how to post pics)

As far as the run, I actually am considering allowing my chickens into the same pen as my 3 goats. I've researched and haven't found any reason that I should be concerned about any health issues. If I was to do this, I would have the back of the coop up against the goat pen fence, cut a hole in the back and let the in via a ramp out a pop hole. The goats have a 6' fence (2"x4" grid) that is large enough that the chickens would pretty much free range in the pen. I think the goats would help any neighborhood dogs from harassing the chickens.

If anyone has any experience mixing livestock, I would be glad to hear of suggestions.

This is so cool! What a great family project and much more memorable a weekend than plugged in to some electronic gaming system. You're workers are very lucky young men.

pop.gif
oooo wanna see it!

Here is a pic of the plywood structure. The base is framed with 2x2's with 1/2 cdx ply on both sides to provide for a rigid platform. In between I installed some 1 1/2" foam insulation to add a little r-value to the floor. The walls are 3/4" cdx ply, nailed and glued at the connections.

45163_hpim7462.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some pics of the boys sealing the walls of the coop. The interior we coated with wood stain and sealer. The outside was an exterior black latex paint. Since the siding isn't going to be 100% waterproof, the sealing is a good measure to prevent deterioration in the future.

45163_hpim7466.jpg

45163_hpim7470.jpg

45163_hpim7472.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom