Mini Dome Incubator

NancyP

Songster
10 Years
Mar 28, 2009
Bonifay,Florida
I know everyone says they are junk and while I tend to agree with that I wonder if anyone has had any luck making them work. I bought one cheap for my son to play with.

Hi there!!!! I used to live in Fort Riley!! Anyway--I know that people say that they are junk but they do work. I've hatched many chicks from mine. You just have to keep the temp stable in your house so that it's not too cold and not too hot...72-76. Make sure that there's water in one of the legs up to the top of it, and turn the eggs 3 times a day. The first time I tried it I hatched a chick. I put 2 eggs in there and 1 was not fertile, the other hatched. When it's time to stop turning I suggest taping the lid on so that when the chick hatches it will not knock the lid of and take a plunge. If you need to put wate rin when it's starts to hatch you can take a medicine dropper and put it in through the little hole that the cord runs through. Also if you keep your house a little colder it may take a little longer to hatch---I had some do this...they were 3 days late, but they still hatched. Anyway go ahead and give it a try---ignore people who are rude about the little bator and you might end up with a chick or 2!!!!
big_smile.png

Chick hatching in the mini-bator
IMG_1377.jpg

Peanut my first hatched chick ever!!!
IMG_1423.jpg

I would suggetst maybe putting a little aluminum foil barrier between teh light and the eggs so you dont get a hot spot on one of them , and also maybe try 3 banty eggs instead of full sized eggs though its sapose to fit 3 full sized eggs its a bit squishy in there especally if you get something to hatch .

Ooh good idea going with the banty eggs. I hadn't thought of that. I might go with quail eggs too, more eggs should up the chances of something hatching plus the shorter incubation time would be good.

I had one hatched 1 out of three. One stopped growing early and the other one we opened because it was three days late and we thought it was dead. But is wasn't. We found it does take longer. I would wait up to 5 days late. I think because the temp can be off because it is such a small space and you have to open it up to turn it. Plus we were so afraid of getting the temp too high so we had it hover around 100 which I found out later should have been 102. I tried using a combo therm and hygo, but everytime I put it in, it shot the temp up. I think because of the metal and plastic on the thermomter generates it own heat. Also make sure there is enough water in the one leg. The tape thing is a good idea because they will pop the lid off. We just took him out and put him in a box with a light and he is doing great. We did have to go buy him a couple of friend so he could stay warm. My son is trying it again now. Good luck.

Quote:
They come with a little foil strip in front of the light to protect the eggs, it's just hard to see in the pic. Also thanks everyone for being so nice to her about this, seems like everytime I've seen this topic come up people get kinda condescending and rude about the little bator.
big_smile.png

Thanks, The taking longer part is good to know. I appreciate the positive feedback. I know this is a cheapy bator but it is for my 4 year old son to play with. I have a nice bator for me
big_smile.png
I will post later with our results. We probably won't use it till after we move in Sept.
Have a glorious day
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom