Mini horse with laceration on sheath *GRAPHIC PHOTOS*

I try but he won't drop for me. He only drops to pee so I can't, I cleaned it once like in March of last year but I really want to clean him again. Any ideas on how to get him to drop?
A 3 year old shouldn't normally need his sheath cleaned. When he drops to pee is there visible waxy buildup? Normal black, flakey? Sedation is the best way to get him to drop and get clean. If he cooperates and you can handle him down there, grab some rolled cotton. Tear off pieces the size of your hand. Drop them in a bucket of warm water. Grab a piece of cotton and squirt a healthy shot of baby oil on it. Reach up there with the cotton and go to work. (Obviously not until he's healed up)
Hosing him down then hand walk or lunge him. He need to move to get the swelling down. The sheath is also the lowest part of his belly so fluids will naturally pool there. A pair of bell boots might help to keep him from cutting himself too.

Am dying to know, how do you put panty hose on a horse???
Pics...please?
Ha I was waiting for someone to ask! You hold the pantyhose upside down and cut a hole in the crotch then you put his scrotum through the hole and tie the legs around his waist and then use a small rubber band to tie the waist band of the pantyhose together. I don't have any pics right now I will take some today

So the update this AM, I took off last night's pantyhose and cold hosed, then I cleaned it with the diluted Betadine and put a anti-biotic cream that also keeps away flies on the wound and put what's called golden yellow salve on the rest of his scrotum to take down the swelling that's what the vet recommended. Then I put a new pantyhose on him and put him out in his pasture. It is still bleeding, not profusely, but dripping here and there. When I took off the pantyhose this morning it was bloody on the bottom, not like soaking but still bloody and this a.m. he was still dripping. I am going to change out the pantyhose this afternoon and then again when I put him in a stall for the night to keep him fresh.
I will keep everyone updated

Back
Top Bottom