Mini horse with laceration on sheath *GRAPHIC PHOTOS*

Pampered chicken girl

🎶My angels and demons at war with myself🎶
Premium Feather Member
Apr 10, 2022
Everywhere, anywhere, in your yard
So I have a 3 year old mini gelding that has been kicking his sheath because of flies. First it swelled really big and there was 2 small Knicks on it bit today he kick a large laceration on it. I cleaned it with bededine and dried it and put wonder dust on it. Is there anything else I can put on it or use to make a cover for it. Thanks
20220706_141521.jpg
20220706_142258.jpg

Cold hose it twice a day for 10 or so minutes and keep it covered in ointment. Might be beneficial to get him a fly sheet if he's kicking at flies that aggressively. Take fly spray on a rag (pour it on the rag to soak it) and pat all around the sheath, going between his legs and up under his belly. Keep him soaked in fly spray so he doesn't keep stomping. That way his wound can have a chance to heal.

He's a very handsome little man!
Thanks 😊 I am training him to be a therapy horse. He was a 2 year old, not halter Broke, dreadlocks in his mane, no hay or water rescue STALLION when I got him. He has come so far and I Broke him myself..

Cold hosing is extremely important to keep that swelling down. Fly control is extremely important to let it heal. Ointment is important in helping it heal and keeping flies off of it.
Thanks I will cold hose 2x daily and I bought a ointment that is a anti-bacterial and fly protector so it should help. I will also clean him with Betadine 2x daily. I used a panty hose to make a sleeve to keep flies off too so he can still pee but no flies can lay eggs in it

I try but he won't drop for me. He only drops to pee so I can't, I cleaned it once like in March of last year but I really want to clean him again. Any ideas on how to get him to drop?
A 3 year old shouldn't normally need his sheath cleaned. When he drops to pee is there visible waxy buildup? Normal black, flakey? Sedation is the best way to get him to drop and get clean. If he cooperates and you can handle him down there, grab some rolled cotton. Tear off pieces the size of your hand. Drop them in a bucket of warm water. Grab a piece of cotton and squirt a healthy shot of baby oil on it. Reach up there with the cotton and go to work. (Obviously not until he's healed up)
Hosing him down then hand walk or lunge him. He need to move to get the swelling down. The sheath is also the lowest part of his belly so fluids will naturally pool there. A pair of bell boots might help to keep him from cutting himself too.

Back
Top Bottom