(Mini Project) Rainbow Laying Silkies.

This is an interesting project. I have a Silkie crossed with a Cochin that somehow lays blue eggs. I caught her laying it. I think the Cochin wasn’t full cochin but if I remember right the breeder said he was a barred rock cross. Still doesn’t make sense. But here she is. Well some of her anyway. This is the best picture I have of her. She’s been pretty good and I haven’t needed to take her picture yet.
FE6E25CE-7199-45B7-94DD-F6277E721EE4.jpeg

This is an interesting project. I have a Silkie crossed with a Cochin that somehow lays blue eggs. I caught her laying it. I think the Cochin wasn’t full cochin but if I remember right the breeder said he was a barred rock cross. Still doesn’t make sense. But here she is. Well some of her anyway. This is the best picture I have of her. She’s been pretty good and I haven’t needed to take her picture yet. View attachment 2890480
I never received a notification.

Yes, that is weird. Do you have parent pictures?

These are the silkies i had at the time. The buff one is a boy.View attachment 2981913She hatched out of a silkie egg and the dominant male at the time was this guy.View attachment 2981914
He looks like Frizzle Cochin X Barred Rock.
I would expect the offspring(Buff in first picture) to be Black, with buff leaking. The mother had to of been Buff.

Also, the original bird is completely Buff as it appears, pure buff is Buff X Buff. Something isn't adding up.

He looks like Frizzle Cochin X Barred Rock.
I would expect the offspring(Buff in first picture) to be Black, with buff leaking. The mother had to of been Buff.

Also, the original bird is completely Buff as it appears, pure buff is Buff X Buff. Something isn't adding up.
I agree. The chick is a silkie cross. She has the dark skin and five toes but not the silkie feathering. I dont have a buff silkie hen however. Could an EE be the father? I ruled him out originally because he wasn’t in with the silkies at the time. When i set the silkie eggs, if I’m remembering right, only the Cochin was in with them. I had them separated for awhile. The Cochin was my dominant male at the time. The EE in question is the roo in my profile picture.

I agree. The chick is a silkie cross. She has the dark skin and five toes but not the silkie feathering. I dont have a buff silkie hen however. Could an EE be the father? I ruled him out originally because he wasn’t in with the silkies at the time. When i set the silkie eggs, if I’m remembering right, only the Cochin was in with them. I had them separated for awhile. The Cochin was my dominant male at the time. The EE in question is the roo in my profile picture.
I don't know about the EE.
I did notice that you have a Buff Brahma in the mix. So, she maybe the mother, & Buff Silkie the Father.

It could be possible the EE could be the father due to the Silkie mix laying a blue egg. Unless you have a EE hen, that's Buff in color that maybe the mother.

I don't know about the EE.
I did notice that you have a Buff Brahma in the mix. So, she maybe the mother, & Buff Silkie the Father.

It could be possible the EE could be the father due to the Silkie mix laying a blue egg. Unless you have a EE hen, that's Buff in color that maybe the mother.
The Brahma was quarantined at the time of hatching out this hen. I had him in with some pure Brahmas and he had some foot issues I was trying to figure out. But I also had another chick hatch that wasn’t a silkie that ended up with frizzled feathers. The barred cochin was the only frizzle I had and this frizzled chick had no barring. Was all brown. At the time I had only two RIR hens, my silkies (none are buff) and three olive eggers. I hope I’m remembering that number right. I do remember Monster, the light Brahma, was locked up for a good long while due to his foot and trying to get pure brahmas.
Here’s a picture of the other frizzle chick I figured had to be the Cochins offspring. It started out looking like an EE chick but turned out brown and frizzled. I think that means the frizzle wasn’t pure barred cochin.
CE0E9E3E-B361-4EF4-892A-1AD55675F8DB.jpeg

The Brahma was quarantined at the time of hatching out this hen. I had him in with some pure Brahmas and he had some foot issues I was trying to figure out. But I also had another chick hatch that wasn’t a silkie that ended up with frizzled feathers. The barred cochin was the only frizzle I had and this frizzled chick had no barring. Was all brown. At the time I had only two RIR hens, my silkies (none are buff) and three olive eggers. I hope I’m remembering that number right. I do remember Monster, the light Brahma, was locked up for a good long while due to his foot and trying to get pure brahmas.
Here’s a picture of the other frizzle chick I figured had to be the Cochins offspring. It started out looking like an EE chick but turned out brown and frizzled. I think that means the frizzle wasn’t pure barred cochin. View attachment 2986668
Maybe ask nicalandia, what maybe going on? Because I don't really have an answer for the Buff color, & blue egg.

Back
Top Bottom