(Mini Project) Rainbow Laying Silkies.

Pics

MysteryChicken

Preserving Gamefowl, 1 Variety At a Time🇮🇳🇺🇸
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
May 31, 2018
Tawas City, Michigan
Hello, gonna be creating silkies that lay colored eggs, besides white, tinted, & cream.
These are to not be confused with Silkied Easter Eggers.

These will have all the traits of a Silkie, but will lay different colored eggs.

Egg colors to be expected: Original, white, tinted, cream. (Colored Eggs: Green, Olive Green, Brown, Chocolate Brown, Blue, Turquoise, Light Blue, Light Green, Mint Chip, Minty, Pastel Greens, Plum, & pink.

These are gonna be of Large Fowl variety.

Order for the Breeding project:

Silkie X Easter Egger X Silkie

Silkie X Black Copper Marans X Silkie

Then breed these first couple mixes together.

Here's a couple egg color charts.
science-color5.jpg
ffdbd32f55f41ad814907133e9c9ee71.jpg
Project will begin next year. Most likely in early summer.

Planning to just use large breeds for these guys, not Giants like Malay.

So, will probably add in Heritage Plymouth Barred Rock, Brahmas, & Orpingtons, along with the Marans, & Easter Eggers for the Rainbow Laying Silkies.

So, I'll probably breed in an order like this:

F1s

Silkie X Easter Egger

Silkie X Marans

Silkie X Brahma

Silkie X Orpington

Silkie X Heritage Plymouth Barred Rock

F2s.

Silkie/Easter Egger X Silkie/Marans

Silkie/Easter Egger X Silkie/Brahma

Silkie/Easter Egger X Silkie/Orpington

Silkie/Easter Egger X Heritage Plymouth Barred Rock

F3s, will be bred in a randomized order, only breeding the black skin fluffy, colored egg layers.

Some maybe bred back to pure silkies, rather then the F1 - F2s.

I love new projects. I hope one day I can understand enough about genetics to start my own project.
I started one project, & started learning genetics while I was working on it.

I was breeding, & reading.

I'm also still learning.

Last edited:
Planning to just use large breeds for these guys, not Giants like Malay.

So, will probably add in Heritage Plymouth Barred Rock, Brahmas, & Orpingtons, along with the Marans, & Easter Eggers for the Rainbow Laying Silkies.

So, I'll probably breed in an order like this:

F1s

Silkie X Easter Egger

Silkie X Marans

Silkie X Brahma

Silkie X Orpington

Silkie X Heritage Plymouth Barred Rock

F2s.

Silkie/Easter Egger X Silkie/Marans

Silkie/Easter Egger X Silkie/Brahma

Silkie/Easter Egger X Silkie/Orpington

Silkie/Easter Egger X Heritage Plymouth Barred Rock

F3s, will be bred in a randomized order, only breeding the black skin fluffy, colored egg layers.

Some maybe bred back to pure silkies, rather then the F1 - F2s.
I'd love to know how this goes for you after each breeding/hatch!
I want to start my own breed with the silkies and Plymouth barred rocks. I hadn't thought about adding in other breeds to get different egg colors! I have one silkie-barred rock cross hen right now from a hatching earlier this year and she lays a darker egg than my silkies. Still bantam sized, but that's fine with me, she's laying consistently and that's more important to me than the size of the egg. I like her so much I am thinking of starting my own breed with the goal of getting more hens like her with a few more of the silkie characteristics.
I am trying to hatch some more silkie/barred rock chicks right now. I have a hen setting on four eggs for me that'll hatch on Nov. 12th. Next year I want to see what happens when I breed my original silkie/barred rock cross hen back to a silkie. I've been growing my silkie breeding flock this year so I will have new roosters to add to the mix for more genetic variety.

What traits are you wanting from the silkie?
Calm, Friendly, Easy to Tame Temperament
More Silkie feathering including feathered feet
Broodiness
Consistent layers

Here's a picture of my current silkie/barred rock cross hen - my inspiration.
Her dad was a buff silkie so she has the red highlights characteristic of all his chicks. I took him out of the mix for this hatch to see what color combo we'd get from my splash silkie roosters instead. I especially like her face - all tiny and round and a little fluffy up top. She's certainly not a "boring all black hen" like one of my easter Eggers.

Attachments

• IMG_5679.JPG
    IMG_5679.JPG
    712.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5696.JPG
    IMG_5696.JPG
    443.4 KB · Views: 4
This is an interesting project. I have a Silkie crossed with a Cochin that somehow lays blue eggs. I caught her laying it. I think the Cochin wasn’t full cochin but if I remember right the breeder said he was a barred rock cross. Still doesn’t make sense. But here she is. Well some of her anyway. This is the best picture I have of her. She’s been pretty good and I haven’t needed to take her picture yet.
FE6E25CE-7199-45B7-94DD-F6277E721EE4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom