Are my silkie's eggs too dark for a silkie?

Cloverr39

Crowing
Jan 27, 2022
Latvia
Silkie eggs are supposed to be white or cream according to the standard of perfection. My growout pullets just started laying and the eggs look a bit too dark for a silkie to me. What do we think?

Now I'm not sure if the girls laying these are my own bred girls or the ones I bought as hatching eggs, but what I'm confused about is that they themselves hatched out of very light eggs.
These are maybe the 3rd and 4th eggs they've layed so far. Maybe the eggs will lighten as they start laying more often?

I'm not very knowledgeable on egg color genetics, so feel free to educate me.

The pullet eggs I'm confused about:
20240113_182057.jpg

Compared to eggs from my other silkie pen:
20240113_182147.jpg

The actual clutches of eggs these pullets hatched out of:
20230424_141004.jpg
20230322_183049.jpg

Perhaps the hatching eggs were not 100% silkie?
Could be, since I did have one turn out with a single comb, but their type and crests don't exactly scream mix and I was sent a picture of the parents before buying. They might’ve been mixed somewhere further up the line though.
(My birds from hatching eggs pictured)

Attachments

• IMG-20240106-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20240106-WA0011.jpg
    679.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Bells.jpg
    Bells.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 8
It could also be that the ones laying the eggs are the ones I bred myself, since they're a few weeks older than the black pullets. They're not mixed but their father was a new rooster I got from different hatching eggs and these were his first chicks. Perhaps he had something to do with egg color? I hope that the rooster I've kept for this year's chicks has the genes for light colored eggs.

I've seen photos of darker silkie eggs online, I've been looking for silkie hatching eggs and I was wondering why some had darker eggs. Some photos had the light and dark mixed together in the same basket, but never made any comment about the shell color.

It's possible it is from your new rooster? What color is he?

I have seen darker silkie eggs but I have no idea about genetics. I remember I read somewhere that in some asian country silkies might have any comb.

He's from a mixed color pen. I call him a heterozygous dominant white with red leakage. Here's a photo.
Hmm, hard to tell, and I'm no expert either... if he was some project color that would have a different breed close in his heritage, then that would make it easier to say it may be from him.

Back
Top Bottom