Minimum height of a quail enclosure?

I guess you'll have to install some foam padding. What's causing them to flush so much? Either you have very flighty birds or some determined predators.
No press. Their inside still due to their original injury. Though we do think we found the problem. We have three female quail, we took the two re injured ones out and separated them from the third, which at the time they seemed to be avoiding? They were separated for the night. In the morning we put that third one in the wire cage their now in so we can try and figure out what was happening. It was good for a while but one of the two injured started freaking out again. I looked over and saw the third one going after her. The third was removed again. And things have been Vince since then.

Aha. A larger pen will probably fix that, but some birds just don't get along.
We do intend to make them a bigger pen outside. And also have another multi sectioned cage coming by mail. Hopefully those will be enough.

That's
Give them more cover. Helps with fighting, and they'll usually hide before they'll flush.
[/
Give them more cover. Helps with fighting, and they'll usually hide before they'll flush.
That's what I'm hoping. These birds belong to my parents in actuality. But typically, since I don't have a job to pay rent, I'm expected to help with their car. But I can't tell my step dad how it should be built. I wanna do the full six ft, but he only thinks four is necessary.

That's what I'm hoping. These birds belong to my parents in actuality. But typically, since I don't have a job to pay rent, I'm expected to help with their car. But I can't tell my step dad how it should be built. I wanna do the full six ft, but he only thinks four is necessary.
Dang, because six is super nice for human accessibility. I'm glad you're looking out for these birds—best of luck!

I recently acquired a rabbit cage that has a coated wire flooring. The cage is about 20 inches tall. If my Coturnix quails get startled and jump upwards, will they break their necks? Would adding foam cushion on the ceiling help? Or is this height okay?

Cage.jpg

I recently acquired a rabbit cage that has a coated wire flooring. The cage is about 20 inches tall. If my Coturnix quails get startled and jump upwards, will they break their necks? Would adding foam cushion on the ceiling help? Or is this height okay?

View attachment 3429095
Quail can jump at least two feet into the air. 20 inches isn't high enough to prevent head bumps. If you wanna do quail, safest bet is to get a cage where they cannot jump, or one that is at least 4 ft or taller to be on the safe side.

Quail can jump at least two feet into the air. 20 inches isn't high enough to prevent head bumps. If you wanna do quail, safest bet is to get a cage where they cannot jump, or one that is at least 4 ft or taller to be on the safe side.
I have a dremel with a cut off blade for metal, and I think I can make the cage shorter in height. How low should I lower the cage ceiling to?

I have a dremel with a cut off blade for metal, and I think I can make the cage shorter in height. How low should I lower the cage ceiling to?
My smaller cages are only about 2 in from the top of an adult birds head. 6-7 in approx.

My large cage is about 7 ft from the wire bottom to the top. Can get pics to show you the one we made.

Back
Top Bottom