1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Minimum Horse arena size

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by haymuncher, Dec 24, 2015.

1. haymuncher

haymuncher New Egg

Dec 24, 2015
    Hi, I am moving to the Middle East and we are going to be building a house there. We have enough room for a horse barn but the arena is only 10.5m by 11m. Is that too small for a horse arena? We will only be riding the horses and we will not be giving lessons or jumping are anything like that. We will often take them outside and ride them in a big open are like the desert (since our land isn't that far away). Thank you in advance for answering. And by the way, I am getting Arabians since that is all that is available in the area I'm going to be living in.

2. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    10 - 11 meters seems rather small to me. I have seen rings that size for miniature horses, but the round pens that I have seen are at least 15 to 20 meters. I suppose if you don't go faster than a walk, a ring that small might work for riding, but constantly turning such a tight radius puts a lot of strain on the leg joints if you do much trotting or cantering.

3. haymuncher

haymuncher New Egg

Dec 24, 2015
    Thank you, I'll probably just take him to the desert or my friends farm for riding.

4. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    20x60m would be a nice size. Considered standard in dressage. 10x11m does seem quite small and difficult to ride in. Good luck to you. Arabso are really nice horses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by