minimum order number

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Turkeyrun, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Turkeyrun

Turkeyrun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Hi,
    we recently lost our first small flock of chickens to raccoons. We are in the process of enhancing security and getting ready to try again. I would like only 10 - 12 chicks, debating between Americanas, Silver Laced Wing Wyandottes or Barred Rock or a mix. Pros and cons of each breed welcome.

I split and order of chicks with friends the first time to meet the minimum. Can anyone recommend a hatchery with a min order of less than 25. Or, is it necessary to ship that many together for health reasons?

Thank you

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Yup, Mypetchicken.com
    They have wonderful costumer service.

4. backwoodsman4life

backwoodsman4life Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2010
    El Reno, Oklahoma
    ideal poultry has no minimum on birds. The only requirement is you spend $25.00 + shipping. I ordered 5 silver laced wyandottes from them and got 15 chicks. The other 10 chicks are I believe Buff Orfington chickens. BTW it don't have to buy $25 in chickens either. It can be 1 chick and a book if you wanted to. [​IMG] The chicks I got arrived healthy and active. I did loose 1 chick 2 days after they arrived but Ideal refunded me the money for the one.
    [​IMG]
    This is our chicks from ideal at about 10 days old. they grow up so fast:hit

www.ideal-poultry.com

5. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    yes, mypetchicken.com is a minimum of 3 chicks. Its a great website and I have always had good experience with it. The chicks are nice and healthy too...in fact, I shoud be getting some chicks in the next few days from them.[​IMG]

6. PetChickenBoo

PetChickenBoo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I just got 4 chicks from Meyer Hatchery. Their minimum is 3 however. My Pet Chicken will only send three if you live within 30 minutes of a major city and the further out you live, the more chicks you need to buy. Since I live at least an hour from a big city I went with Meyer. My chicks from Meyer arrived in great shape and are a week old today and doing fine thus far. Good luck![​IMG]

7. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    My Pet Chicken was great to me! I ordered a couple of different shipments...mine all came in fine. My friend however did get one DOA but when she called,they refunded her card. All the others are doing very well [​IMG] I would recommend them.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    As someone already posted, MPC's 3 chick minimum is only if you live within a certain distance of a major city. The minimum goes up the further out you live.
    Also, as mentioned Ideal has a minimum total $ amount, not a minimum chick amount. If you don't want the "packing peanuts" chicks, which will almost certainly be 100% male, specify it when you order. You'll have to pay a small postal insurance fee but you won't be trying to find homes for a bunch of cockerels either. I received the number I ordered from Ideal in June, without a single packing peanut added.

9. jenn-E

jenn-E Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    I also went with Ideal, partly because their shipping costs are much less (they also had Brabanters that I really wanted). To ensure that I wouldn't get packing peanuts, I asked the minimum number of chicks they would normally ship with the weather. They told me 12, so I ordered 16 (chicken math you know!). I did not get any extras, and I did not have to pay any extra insurance (there is a small order fee).

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Cackle will do 15 as a minimum. They will also do smaller orders but charge a bunch more per chick. I'm not sure if they have all your breeds. I'd suggest you get 5 of each, total of 15. They may include an extra or two to help keep them warm or to make up for possible losses, but I would not expect very many packing peanuts this summer since it is so warm. In colder weather they will probably ship extras.

With my order of 27 chicks from Cackle, I got 28 chicks. I had ordered 6 straight run Buff Orps. My packing peanut was also a Buff Orp. Out of 6 Buff Orp straight run order, I got 7 Buff Orp pullets. No roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by