Mink

binza1979

Songster
12 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Utah
A mink got in the coop and killed two of our favorite chickens. I'm so sad, but my manly husband did the dirty deed and killed the monster by shooting it in the head.

What are the chances that another mink will attack? Are the "family" animals that will continue to strike? Our coop isn't very predator proof and this is our first predator attack in the 4 years we have had chickens.

I doubt that there is only the one predator. If one found its way in, others will follow suit. The only complete approach to take is to make the coop a Fort Knox. Keeping the predators out is the best policy.

Chris

Minks are lone rangers. They don't usually shack up together unless in the mating season. But, if one found it's way in, you need to locate the breach and fix it.

In my experience, mink will hunt in groups. Not sure if it's the "parents" teaching the juveniles what to do, or what. Our farm is on what used to be a mink farm back in the day, so we have had a number of run ins with them. Last year, I went to let our ducks out at dawn, and there were four of them all hunting together. We have had about five attacks total (one per year or so) and in the majority of the cases there were at least two that we visually confirmed. chfite is right, the only way to prevent predation is to secure your enclosures. If you trap/shoot/relocate one predator, another will always move in to fill the void.

If this is your first attack in four years you are very lucky people...

But now you have been attacked and the word is out in the
predator community so shore up the holes and make it safe
for you poultry to sleep and use the run in safety ......

This nasty creature lost and just over two dozen total in just
fourteen months and a fox and some house cats and dogs
with a total of 87 shoots and almost 50 kills wounded ????
Best shoot three cats but two had to be finished off....
But the price can be high and they wont stop once it starts ..
Oh only fair chicken losses 27 Ducks 14 Geese 2

gander007
old.gif

If this is your first attack in four years you are very lucky people...

But now you have been attacked and the word is out in the
predator community so shore up the holes and make it safe
for you poultry to sleep and use the run in safety ......

This nasty creature lost and just over two dozen total in just
fourteen months and a fox and some house cats and dogs
with a total of 87 shoots and almost 50 kills wounded ????
Best shoot three cats but two had to be finished off....
But the price can be high and they wont stop once it starts ..
Oh only fair chicken losses 27 Ducks 14 Geese 2

gander007
old.gif
We have one of those at the taxidermist's right now! Personally I don't think the bobcats are nasty, they're just hungry and doing what bobcats do best. But since my loyalty lies with my feathered creatures first, guess who's going to hang over the tv in the living room? :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom