1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Minnesota Cities Chicken Ordinances and Rules

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by leanbarton, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Acschmitt

Acschmitt Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2012
    little falls, mn
    anyone know the ordinance(s) for little falls, mn. all i have been able to locate is something stating you cant have chickens in town, but we arent in town...

2. mnmom4

mnmom4 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2012
    Columbus, MN

I'm not sure what the specifics are, but they did vote to allow chickens in Ramsey.

3. mntwins

mntwins New Egg

Sep 17, 2012
    My neighbor has chickens. I have dogs. I was never asked to approve of their permit, and the chickens and their housing are not in compliance with the new local ordinance. They have a rooster. The coop is using my fence as one wall. I added to my fence to keep my dogs from jumping over. I like my neighbors and don't want to offend them. How do I improve the situation?

4. Czech

Czech New Egg

Sep 18, 2012
    I'm currently rallying in Cottage Grove, any advice for negotiating with the city council? I've consolidated a nice report from the information on this and other sites, anything that stands out in a successful campaign? I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks!

5. karylbrod

karylbrod New Egg

Oct 29, 2012
    Hi: Good spreadsheet. I'm sure you've updated it by now but I'm new to this and seeing it for the first time.
    I just read that Eagan has approved but check it out.
    We live in Woodbury which is not allowing chickens. I am going to try to work to change the ordinance and, at the same time, we are looking for a home in a city that allows chickens. I can completely relate to moving in order to live the way one wants. (It helps that we are realtors).
    We all know that chickens are pets. It's all in one's perception.If they're treated as pets, then they act as and become pets.
    Woodbury is so behind the times because they have some old farmers on the City Council (actually just people who grew up on farms and are stuck in a stereotype). These folks really need an education on the benefits of keeping chickens. It's amazing that, if the Cities have approved the ordinance, that an old farming community like Woodbury cannot seem to embrace the trend.

6. chickortreat

chickortreat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    What are they going to do to you if you get chickens without the approval of the little minions-who-would-be-god? Hang you? If enough folks would just man up and get their chickens and deal with the antagonizers afterward, lots of this junk would go away.

7. Dawnwatch2

Dawnwatch2 New Egg

Mar 6, 2013
    We are NOT allowed chickens in town in Hutchinson, MN :(

8. Shnaydo72

Shnaydo72 New Egg

Mar 28, 2013
    Hutch does not presently but seems to be chewing on it. I offered to do the research and provide staff that to discuss at next meeting. Now I need to research how best to have towns change their ordinances! I think the more interest they get the more pressure for them to look into it and consider.

9. SavageChick

SavageChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    Savage, MN
    Savage, MN = NO. I'm hoping this will change soon.

10. karylbrod

karylbrod New Egg

Oct 29, 2012
    Thanks for keeping track of the City ordinances. Please add Woodbury with a NO. The city council is comprised of people who grew up on farms -- the most biased who believe that animals like chickens belong only on the farm. They have little understanding of "urban farming" or the beauty of raising chickens in a back yard. We are currently living in Woodbury and would like to form a group to work to re-educate the City Council.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by