Minnesota Cities Chicken Ordinances and Rules

From Savage, wondering if there is any traction to change the ordinance and/ or how someone would go about doing that? Apparently the ordinance here is from the age of the bird flu scare. Looking to keep less than 5 hens. Suggestions?

Hello,

I am also looking for a home in the Twin cities area where I can have chickens! This was very helpful! I was wondering if you found anything for Lake Elmo, Lino Lakes and/or Mahtomedi, MN? Thank you for sharing!!!

Does anyone know about Prior Lake? I'm getting some confusing information in Scott county zoning ordinances it say this....

9-2-4 Poultry Raising
On parcels less than 10 acres in the RR-2, RR-3, RR-1C, UTR-C, and UER-C Zoning Districts, limited raising of poultry animals (chickens, ducks, turkeys, geese & related fowl) may be permitted subject to the following regulations:
a. Themaximumnumberofpoultryanimalsshallbelimitedto:10animalsonlots between 0 - 2.49 acres; 20 animals on lots between 2.5 – 4.99 acres; 40 animals on lots between 5.0 – 9.99 acres. Lots 10 acres or greater shall be regulated according to other provisions in this chapter.
b. Roostersarenotpermittedonanylotorparcellessthan10acres.
c. Poultry shall at all times be confined to the property and must be kept in enclosed structures, coops, or runs. Enclosures, coops, and runs shall be set back 30 feet from any property lines, and shall be located closer to the residence on the subject parcel than to any other adjacent residence.
d. Thepoultryfacilitiesshallbemaintainedandanimalwasteproperlydisposedso to effectively control odor and insects.

But recently the Prior lake code enforcement officer has said we need to get rid of our two hens.

Help!

Greetings!

I am interested in working to change the chicken ordinance in West St Paul. Although they technically allow chickens with a hefty permit fee ($195), the current ordinance requires a 100 foot setback between the coop and any neighboring residence. This effectively restricts 95%+ of all residences in West St Paul from keeping chickens.

Anyone else from West St Paul interested in helping change the current chicken ordinance to something more reasonable?

Anyone else have any experience changing chicken ordinances in other MN cities they would be willing to share? Helpful advice and/or encouragement is greatly appreciated!

Chickens!

Back
Top Bottom