Minnesota Swaps for 2011?

Anybody going to this?

May 7th - Faribault MN - Rice County Fairgrounds. Swap will begin at 8am till done. All animals are welcome. All poultry must be tested, bring paper work. Testing will be available on site. Livestock equipment and supplies are also welcome. More information call 507-645-4318

Do you know if they can test 2 Month old chickens? I have some extra Polish and maybe some Cochin's I picked up from Duane Urch but not sure if I can bring them if they can't be tested.​

I think they have to be at least 4 months old before they will test the birds.

This is someone I know that recently trained to be a tester who lives in MN..
Quote:

Last edited:
I might head down to the New Ulm one for a couple hours. Faribault is too far with the price of gas for me....

After talking to the state vets pertaining to blood testing... Technically any bird over 4 months of age has to be blood tested. How do you prove if a bird is 2 months versus 6 months???? Their classification on that is that if it is feathered out, they want it tested and have a numbered leg band on. If it still has chick down then they can get by with either NPIP certification or a copy of the 2010 breeder flock PT test for the parent stock.

Quote:
Pigeons do not need to be tested, neither does waterfowl because nearly all waterfowl will show some exposure to AI. Some may have restrictions to MN wild waterfowl (Woodies, etc). Poultry, age 4 months and up, need to be PT tested. Turkeys need to be Mycoplasma family tested PRIOR (it's a blood test that gets mailed to the state so it's not an immediate test).

Quote:

Thanks CMom! I am a certified tester for all fowl.
smile.png

Quote:

Thanks CMom! I am a certified tester for all fowl.
smile.png

Hi Julie, I am envious of you. I thought about checking into being a tester here in FL, but not sure. I'm so busy but thought has crossed my mind especially after having my birds tested. I think I will check into it but whether I do it or not is another thing. Our flock has increased to over 100 birds and lately I have been either building new coops or renovating the old ones. Take care...

Alieda

Sorry Julie but waterfowl do have to be tested if they are for sale purposes.... In state waterfowl is only exempt from testing for exhibition purposes (and the state is trying to get that changed as well). At our fall show last year they were adamnant about having ALL birds tested...poultry and waterfowl. If they are coming across the border, they have to have testing done within 30 days and a current CVI on any adult birds too. Any question on it, call the BAH 320-231-5170.

This is copied directly from the MN Board of Animal Health website:

Poultry Test Requirements
Minnesota Origin:
1.With the exception of waterfowl, all poultry must be identified by leg or wing band and:
a.Must have a negative Pullorum-Typhoid (Salmonella pullorum-typhoid) test within 90 days prior to the opening date of the exhibition, OR
b.Originate directly from parent stock tested negative for Pullorum-Typhoid within the last 12 months.
2.Turkeys must be identified by leg or wing band and:
a.Must be test negative for Salmonella pullorum-typhoid, Salmonella typhimurium, Mycoplasma gallisepticum, and Mycoplasma synoviae within 90 days prior to the opening date of the exhibition OR
b.Originate directly from parent stock qualified as Salmonella pullorum-typhoid, typhimurium, Mycoplasma gallisepticum, and Mycoplasma synoviae tested negative within the last 12 months.
3.Waterfowl and pigeons are exempt from Pullorum-Typhoid testing for exhibition, however if in conjunction with a sale, waterfowl over 5 months of age must be tested for Pullorum-Typhoid within 30 days of the sale.

Out-of-State Origin (Not from Minnesota)
1.Must meet above requirements plus import requirements.
a.Poultry as defined above, greater than five (5) months must be tested and negative within 30 days prior to import and a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI).
b.Poultry as defined above, less than five (5) months must have an import permit and a disease classification for the poultry as listed above, supported by a CVI, NPIP Form VS 9-3 or equivalent form. Contact your local Official State Agency for the forms listed above.

I know this is what we have to be checking for at our swaps and shows. We also now have to have a written permit from the state just to have our swaps and a vet present. I'm also good friends with the guy that does all the testing for the Jackson exotic sales as well. The MN State Poultry Association (Adrian Rademacher & Paul Merkins)did a presentation at their last conference and we'll see if it brings about any changes.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom