Minnesota Swaps for 2011?

Sounds like we'll be driving down to Faribault tomorrow for the swap. There's nothing that we need or want, but just thought it would be fun to see a lot of birds. Maybe we'll bump in to you there!

I was unable to make the Fairbault swap due to having to work.. would love to know what I missed. I'm on the hunt for Standard Light Brahmas.. since I can't order 25 chicks.. ordering and shipping is out.. Are the swaps THE place to go?? I grew up with chickens as a kid.. but haven't had any in years..Fill me in please!

Thanks!

Sheri in MN

You did not miss anything yesterday. I went and took some silkie chicks. I think the weather had a lot to do with it. It was cold and rainy here. Not many people selling and anyone there was mostly looking. There were a bunch of "meat buyers". NOTHING impressive there chicken wise. My son bought a mini rex rabbit and I bought 2 twin pygmy/dairy goat cross does. There were not any chickens there that I would have purchased. There is another one October 1, 2011. Hoping that one will be better!

Thanks for the info on the swap.. guess the OT earned this weekend was worth it then... Apparently the breed I am looking for is going to be hard to find... or at least has been in small numbers. Guess I better start trying to find connections to maybe do a group order eventually from somewhere.. I'll drive a few hours in one direction for rabbit shows.. will do the same for chickens if they are good quality. Not looking to win the shows.. just looking to find Light brahmas that LOOK the way Light brahmas should...good heavy big birds...

Sheri in MN
[email protected]

I had to work so I missed both of them. My mom went to New Ulm and there were 113 people through the gate. Crappy turnout and not much there either.

On the light brahmas, Mark Peterson from Aamboy has really nice exhibition ones. Also try Duane Urch from Owatonna or John Ulvin from from Forest Lake. Not sure what they have available right now but they could probably give you people that do have some though.

Good to know that I didn't miss anything as well. Kid's had a t-ball meeting but I was really tempted to drive to Fairbault. I am also being quite picky on my chickens going forward.

Is anyone going to New Ulm this weekend? I have some poults I could part with, but it's a pretty long drive for us. Has the New Ulm swap been well attended? Is it worth the drive?

Any "regulars" out there who can fill me in? I've been to Hutch and to Faribault, but I don't know how New Ulm compares.

Last few at NU have only been a little over 100 people. FYI turkeys have to be MS/MG blood tested in advance. Usually takes at least 10 days to get the paperwork back from the MPTL too.

Hello,

I live in Northern MN and have never been to a bird auction or swap. Is there anybody else here who lives in northern MN? I would like to attend one and was wondering what they are all about. What is the difference between the two? Well an auction is obvious. Should I just go with the logic that at a swap you trade birds with people? I know that's a silly question. Plus, what I am mostly interested in is peafowl, are they usually there too?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom