Minnesota!

Hi all!
It was suggested I post here to possibly find what I am looking for? I did put it on the wanted section too so hope thats not a problem.
hmm.png

Two things. First, I am testing a incubator we refurbished but havent used yet. SO, I am looking for at least half a dozen inexpensive mixed eggs. I didnt want to put anything in this yet that would cost me too dear.
And the other. I am looking for a small chicken coop. (My family is building a larger one for me but I figure this would give more space/options.) There is a guy in the sales section of the BYC that is selling what "I" think is the perfect type of small coop for $150 each. However, he is WAY too far from me.
I have tried craigslist and no luck.
Thanks all, even if you cant help.
smile.png

Oh, just e-mail or pm me.

Last edited:
Hello Chilly 'Sotans!

Its spring!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited! I got hubby on board with chicken keeping in our tiny backyard in E. St. Paul, and I am getting chicks on Weds! yay! We're going to Anoka Ramsey Farm & Garden, and I really don't know of anywhere else around her to get sexed chicks! Any thoughts?

Lets get together this year... I not at all in the "loop" ... are there swaps upcoming, or anything like that?

I am also lucky to have good neighbors, but working on figuring out the whole permit thing...

Yay for chicks!

CaraLin

Quote:
th.gif
Anoka Ramsey farm and garden??? Don't do it please!!!!! I was in there a few years ago and I was literally blown over by the condition of their chicks, no food/water, the chicks were within a foot of bad chemicals and fertilizers, they were starving and overcrowded so bad they were eating the dead chicks in the bins! I don't know how they claim to have sexed chicks because everything is just tossed into filthy bins and not marked. I was soooo disgusted with the way they kept those babies I called a humane investigator on them. Just a heads up I don't mean to scare you but rather you be prepared if you do choose to go there. I hear My Pet Chicken sells sexed chicks and there is no 25 chick minimum. BTW
welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
Try Houles in stillwater, just north of north st. paul. They have pullets. I got three yesterday
smile.png

Oh yeah, and I am from MN, just north of St. Paul.

Hi again all,

Update & Looking for laying hens.

We made it through our 1st 9 months with the chickens pretty well. We started in June with 10 laying hens. Then late last fall - we lost one to our dog (that ran through the invisible fence), and one to some unknown reason. Last week we picked up 2 new hens. They are acclimating to the other 8 perfectly.

We are now in the process of building BuckMann Coop II. BCII will be in an area of the barn that is "dead space". We are hoping to house another 10 hens. The soon-to-be flock of 20 will be free range, and have their choice of retiring for their evenings in BCI or BCII.

In the next week or two - we'll be ready for the new hens. If you are some-what close to the Forest Lake area - please let us know if you will have anything available. Please PM me with the details...a pic (if available) would be great as well. Below is our short list of breeds....

Ameraucana
Australorp
Delaware
Hamburg
Welsummer
Sussex
Brown Leghorn
Mottled Leghorn
Colorful mixed breed

Thanks again,
Dave

Quote:
Hi Dave, I am in East Bethel and have bantam mixed chicks that should be ready to go in may if your interested as well as pure serama chicks due to hatch any day now.

For the folks around this area stillwater houles swap is the 24th of this month, people show up early (around 7 am)
FL houles swap is may 8th early like stillwater and the isanti federated co op will be having swaps once a month every second saturday until october starting may 8th as well Happy swapping and hope to see you there!
big_smile.png

I'm in FL now but planning a move to MN (northern burb of St Paul) in June or so, as soon as I can get things in place with getting poultry in to the state. I'll be bringing with me my Malaysian Seramas, Call Ducks, Brahma bantams, Modern bantams, Araucana bantams, a trio of turkeys, a peafowl trio, egyptian goose pair, my pigeons and hopefully a few others if I can get permitting in place. Minnesota is brutal when it comes to bringing in poultry from what I've read so far. Once I get there, I can't wait to get involved in the MN goings-on, the swaps & shows and whatnot.

I only saw about 5 members from southern MN, we are down here in Blue Earth where I 90 and Hwy 169 meet. Maybe I should check out Iowa's page. Anyway, I grew up in Hudson and my parents live there so if there's ever some kind of meet please let me know. They love to see the grandsons, and I love to get away from them! This is our 2nd year with chickens and things are way easier than the first year. We have yet to have a hen go broody, but would love it if one of them would. And I'd really like to try out ducks with out having to order a ton, so if anyone has ducklings in the area give me an email! Our old folks are 2 New Hampshire Red hens and a cute couple of Dominiques. The new guys are one month old pullets of Australorp, Ameraucana, Dominiques, and New Hampshire Reds. And a straight run of Buff Chanteclers and Cuckoo Marans. 50 chicks this year, and 30 last year. It's a cruel twist of fate that my son and I are allergic to eggs, so we mostly do this for meat, and we're going to try to have the hens do all the incubation work for us! My husband and other son eat the eggs and we share the rest with family. We free range, and started the new chicks on organic feed. (The old ones were too picky to switch!) We are part of a bigger conventional family farm and then have our own homestead on the side. We would love to meet young farmers in the area, I'm just turning 30 and young farmers and chickens are not too common around here!

Back
Top Bottom