Minnesota!

My husband built a poop shelf below the roost and right now we have pine shavings on it. I want to find Sweet PDZ or Stall Dry to put on it. That way we can scoop it like cat litter. Any ideas where I can purchase it. I can order it on line but the shipping is $50.00. Pretty crazy shipping cost but it usually comes in 25 pounds bags. I would appreciate any leads where to purchase this. I live in Central MN.

Winter is coming.... I found ice that was 1/2 inch thick in the duck pool this morning. All the water dishes froze, but thankfully the ice was thin enough for most of the birds to peck through.

I guess I finally need to order those new heated water dishes.

My husband built a poop shelf below the roost and right now we have pine shavings on it. I want to find Sweet PDZ or Stall Dry to put on it. That way we can scoop it like cat litter. Any ideas where I can purchase it. I can order it on line but the shipping is $50.00. Pretty crazy shipping cost but it usually comes in 25 pounds bags. I would appreciate any leads where to purchase this. I live in Central MN.
Hi there! Also from Central MN. Not sure how close you are to Maple Lake, but I have the Coop there order Sweet PDZ for me. They usually have it in stock now. I have also used Stall Dry but the PDZ is much better!

This is my first winter with ducks and geese.

Soon the barn well will be turned off and I'll be hauling gallon jugs filled with water back and forth from the house. It's not too bad with chickens (about 4 gallons a day), but the ducks and geese go through a LOT of water.

Minnie - Do you just use rubber pans? or do you use heated water dishes?

This is my first winter with ducks and geese.

Soon the barn well will be turned off and I'll be hauling gallon jugs filled with water back and forth from the house. It's not too bad with chickens (about 4 gallons a day), but the ducks and geese go through a LOT of water.

Minnie - Do you just use rubber pans? or do you use heated water dishes?
Some of both. I have an outdoor flock that uses the rubber pans. I like them because it is easy to break the ice out.
I have several breeding pens and they have heated waterers. I am trying some nipple waterers this year with heat tape and maybe a heat cable running through the line, but I do have heated 96-ounce dog bowls that only use 25-watts each in the large breeder pens.
For ducks and geese I had a 15 gallon rubber tub for them to splash in, and a shallower one for just drinking the last couple of winters. They work well but need to be dumped daily. I froze up the hydrant once last year toward the end of the cold season and had to carry water to all my birds (175 chickens and 4 Pekin ducks, plus some Calls). I use 5-gallon pails to do that. Or you can get 2 1/2 gallon pails too that would cut down on how many trips to make. I am just glad when that happens that they aren't drinking as much as they do in the summer!

Quote:
I'm considering buying 2 heaters for the ducks and geese. A floating de-icer that I could put in their mini pool and a heated 5 gallon bucket or 2 for drinking. I'm leaning towards just buying the buckets because I don't think I'll be able to haul enough water down to keep their pool filled and I certainly won't be able to clean it everyday. The barn isn't very close to the house and leaving the well on over the winter isn't an option.

Would it hurt them to go without a pool for the winter?

Back
Top Bottom