Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Scott16475

Scott16475 Chillin' With My Peeps

Fluegel's in Rosemount is where I purchase most of my feed and supplies. I get the organic layer feed and it's really cheap, or at least it's cheaper than the price I asumed it would be. I get pine shavings in a large bag (I can't remember the size) as well as the oyster shells from Fleet Farm in Lakeville. A 25lb pag of shells at FF is less than $9 and if my memory serves me correctly, the bag shavings is around $7. With that said, I crushed up and baked my first round of egg shells this morning and fed it to them. I crushed them into very small pieces so I hope they don't figure out what it is. My wife now has me worried. HA.

Fluegel's is also where I order my chicks who they in turn, order from Hoover's Hatchery.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. Scott16475

Let's see, I first confused people by writing 'Toga' instead of 'Togo' and then I assumed you were talking about the Togo in...Africa(??) so that's why I made reference to it being warm. Clearly I'm an expert at confusing the masses so for now, I'l just sit quietly in the corner and I'll show up wherever you tell me to go.

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I most likely do my egg shells wrong. I simply let them dry and crush them before feeding them back. My grandparents and parents did this and never had a real egg eating problem.

I think the chickens are too stupid to know a broken egg was once a whole egg. After all they forget over night what snow is.

I get my shavings at Tractor Supply Company, if you have one close, I have gotten them at FF but they were more money and I thought dustier.

4. Scott16475

Thanks for the tip, duluthralphie. There's one not too far from me in Inver Grove Heights.

5. Scott16475

Profile pic has been updated to now include actual chickens rather than a dog. This is 'backyard chickens' after all. Attached are a few pics taken this morning of the girls and the coop. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    What breed are they?

I like your coop. I need several small coops like that to separate mine. I am going to do something different, but I am not sure what.

7. Scott16475

When my wife and I first started talking about owning chickens, I had the idea of fencing the girls off to the back half of the backyard and once the coop was brought home and the hens were old enough to go outside to their home, fencing them off become one of those ideas that was forgotten about due to a lack of time. We have 6 vegetable gardens in the backyard and as the girls got bigger, it didn't take long to remember that long forgotten thought of fencing off the girls. Although there are rabbit fences around each garden, the hens found a way to rip off the leaves of the veggies that were growing through the fences. We also grow pounds and pounds of potatoes via potato towers and if you grow potatoes, you know they are ready to be dug up once the 'branches' have browned and died. Well, thanks to the eating habits of chickens, the branches died way earlier than they were supposed to so our potato crop last summer wasn't as successful as they normally are. My wife and I built a fence in a matter of an hour and on very rare occasions, we will let them roam the entire backyard (like now when there's nothing growing and everything is snow covered). It's a difference between night and day with the back half and the front half of the yard. Not a blade of grass back where the chickens roam and thick green grass where they don't.

Oh, and another reason we quickly built that fence....chickens poop a lot!

1 person likes this.
  8. starbuck123

starbuck123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2015
    Thank you both for the info - looks like a trip to a few places are in order! I was considering making my own organic feed but if the price is right... k-i-s-s (keep it simple stupid!). Besides, I'd rather support a local co.

I like your coop. Ours is similar, almost the same layout. We're not handy so had one built by red rooster coops. It's cute but I'm still bummed it has to be in the garage... :(

We're planning a garden so thanks for the reminder to fence that off as well, as they will be allowed out in the yard when we're here to supervise.

Anyway, looks great!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  9. Scott16475

They are four Black Australorps. We have 2 Silver Laced, 2 RIR's, and 2 Barred Rocks chicks that are to be delivered on March 2nd. You can't tell by this picture but the coop is large enough to hold 14 hens and even though we ordered 6 new chicks bringing our total to 10, ten is the most I want to own. I'm also expecting a loss or two from the new chicks as we lost one chick last spring from natual causes and from everything I read it's difficult to bring in a new set of chicks into an already established group. I keep hearing to expect a loss or two due to bullying from the other chicks.

I hope that doesn't happen but I'm already figuring in the end, we'll have 7 or 8 chickens rather than the full 10.

10. Scott16475

The roof is clear so they get plenty of light during the day. I have a light on early in the morning and again in the evening to extend the days during the winter and because the roof is clear, in the darkness of night, comes this bright light aiming up to the heavens from inside the coop. It actually looks pretty cool.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by