Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Well, after the bath and blow dry, I fed her cottage cheese with egg shell crumbled up in it and some vitamin D mixed in. I also gave her some of her crumble. I put Preparation H on her vent as it was red and irritated, and put her on the roost. She doesn't lay every day, usually every other or every 3 days. so hopefully we'll see in a day or two how she does. I don't know if any of the egg ended up inside her or not. She was pooing, but it was fairly liquid. the last one was a little more solid before I took her out. I'll probably bring her in and give her more eggshell mix tomorrow. She is acting fine, eating, running around, etc, except for the diarrhea. Poor girl [​IMG]

2. Dandelioness

Dandelioness Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2014
    East Central MN
    Cluckies, I'm sorry to hear about your pullet. I think you are taking the same first steps as I would. Keep us posted on her progress please, or if you find out what is going on with her.

Minnie - I had to give my two silkies "bangs" late this fall, because when they drink out of their bowl with hot water & a little olive oil their poofy hair would be all wet and frozen and greasy. A little haircut and they stay nice and dry now. I hope your silkie is feeling better soon. I think a bang trim is okay, isn't it?? Now I'm thinking if a more experienced chicken mama doesn't do it there must be a good reason. [​IMG]

3. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Minnie have you tried VetRX? it smells like vicks but is an oil, the dude at Ramsey Farm and Garden recommended it for any type of respiratory issue, cold, or chicken just not "right" (limp, down, sluggish) I've used it a few times.
    Sorry to hear your chicken is sick. [​IMG]

Thank you Dandelioness. I looked in on her at 4:30 am before heading to work, she seems ok. her bum is no longer red, she did have diarrhea under her in the sweet PDZ that had a couple small pieces of eggshell, hopefully it cleans itself out. I thought about doing a flush, I saw someone mention they did it with a syringe with warm water and mineral oil, but I thought i'd wait and see what happens. It is hard sometimes to decide what do do and what not to do. especially in cold temperatures... I did put some slight heat on in the hen house (seedling mat behind them on the wall) it heats up 10-15 degrees or so above ambient, I just wanted to try and keep it above freezing for one night incase she is still damp from her bath. I usually only add heat (tiny bit) when it goes below zero. when it was -14 last week over night, it was 4 in the coop. they are in the run during the day but have access to the hen house whenever they want, they usually just lay eggs and get out.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

It is going to be cold for a few days again, I suggest you knit her a nightie and make her a little pillow so she can snuggle in between you and your spouse....

Actually, in all seriousness I understand your not being sure what to do. If it helps and knowing I am far from an expert on this stuff, I think you did right by not flushing her. It is always hard to know what to do, I have found doing something many times makes it worse for me. But I want to do something. I am thinking if she is getting rid of shell it is a good thing.

I have not put anything on my Jake with the scabs. I thought about putting vicks on it like Minnie said, but my Jakes are not the kind of guys that like to be touched. My DW has been working long hours and I am afraid I might hurt the poor guy if I try to hold him and apply it. I know he will be fighting me and would hate to see him hurt himself. As long as he looks like he is improving, I will not put him through the indignity of being held.

Good luck on you girl Cluckie.

HAve you been to Ramsey feed lately? Do they have any birds there now?

5. Scott16475

Scott16475 Chillin' With My Peeps

To tell you how 'green' I am at this chicken ownership thang, I just learned last night that if you have a ladder type roost, the chickens will place themselves on the rung in position to where they are in the pecking order. In other words, if you have a rooster, he will always be on the top rung, second in command will be on the second from the top, etc. If you want to find out their order, check on them at night and you'll know. I thought this was VERY cool. Probably very old news for most of you.

We don't have that type of roost as ours is at the same height. I wonder how much of a disruption it would be to the hens if I built a ladder type and installed it this weekend? I already know who is the leader of our hens (Mrs. Butterworth) as it's very clear but we have always wondered who was second, third, and fourth.

In other news, I mistakenly left the gate open that keeps the chickens in the back half of the yard when I went to gather eggs this morning and they are at the patio door tapping at the door wanting in. Not going to happen! It's sleeting and snowing currently and clearly they would rather come into my house rather than go into theirs.

Working from home is always entertaining around here.

6. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I did know the higher ups got a higher/better roost spot. I did not know a ladder roost would sort them out.

I have "rafters' 2x4s laid on their side (4 inch side up) in my coop. The roosters are seldom ever on the rafters, they are on one of my lower roosts.

I went out early and let the chickens out, thinking they might not get scared if they were out during the snow, thus stopping the chicken pile up tomorrow when they see the new snow.

It failed, they all are in the coop today.

It is just snowing here, the sleet did not last long.

On a high note I have a cardinal on my feeders, first of the year.

7. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I used to have a ladder roost. When it came time for our birds to lay -- the first hen to lay was our New Hampshire. She and our New Hampshire roo really hung out alot together (birds of a feather thing mostly, I'm guessing) Before she had heard first egg she wondered the whole day looking for a place to lay it (free ranging) We finally locked her in the coop and put her in a nest box while the roo bock-bocked nervously outside the coop. He was totally beside himself not knowing what her problem was (they were all new to us). Anyways she laid the egg. We opened the pop door and he came right in to check on her. Then that night after her ordeal--probably a bit dehydrated etc... she took a lower roost. You know that Roo didn't go to the top rung like he usually did. He went right where she was. And that's where he roosted for the night. He was so gallant. Ha. But I've since learned he also loves his egg layers. And that's where he wants to roost is next to them.

A short time After that I did put a level roost for everybody to be on the same height. I didn't like the squabbling and jockeying for position.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota

Thanks for the suggestion on the VetRx. I actually do have some, and I hadn't thought about using that instead. Thanks! It will be a lot easier to put in than trying to smear the Vicks in the nostrils. She acts fine. I don't think she is laying though. She has good condition on her, so I know she is eating and drinking okay.
    I know some follks will tape up or rubber band the crest on their Silkies to keep them clean. I am not showing these, so clipping back their crests works just fine for me.

As for your hen. If she is young and just starting to lay, I wouldn't get too worried unless the soft shells just keep coming. If you are offering her plenty of calcium, then it may just be HER. On the other hand, are you feeding anything that may be inhibiting calcium absorption? It may be worth looking up. I don't recommend flushing the vent. Our own bodies and those of other creatures are designed to be 'self cleaning', if you will. If she has something from egg laying in her tract, she should expel it naturally. You could do more damage than good by trying something like that on your own. That egg probably was just too soft when she was trying to push it out and it broken on its way is all. It does happen.

I have a question though, what breed is she? And did you get her from a breeder or from hatchery? I am just curious. I have found that when I had a lot of hatchery birds when I started, I would have problems with birds having reproductive issues. Now that I have all breeder stock, I hardly ever see a problem with egg laying/ reproductive type issues.

9. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I don't know as that is 100% true about the roosting stuff. I have roosters who sleep on the floor and the hens are all on the roost and I hardly call them the submissive ones in the pen. Sometimes I see the lowest on the pecking order at the top trying to get away from the bullies too. It sounds good, but not sure of the validity. If you are reading 'wisdom' about poultry keeping on the internet, be very wary of the source. There are more 'internet professionals' around than you can shake a stick at. They sound like they know everything, when in fact, their logic or information can be flawed. In fact, question everything I say too. I would never claim to be an expert. I have done research and I have experience I draw from, and most of my research is done from universities and those who have been raising poultry for a long time.

10. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Turkeys aren't as hard to hold onto as you might think. Picking them up now, that is a whole other ball game!
    You will like this story....
    Last fall I had 8 BBWhites to take to get processed. I have a Dodge Dakota with a topper on it to haul them in. I figured I would just put them in the back and haul them without caging them in besides. I had the gate up and the topper hatch open. I put one in, it would hop out. I couldn't manage holding one to lift over the gate and open the hatch at the same time, so I was getting a bit irritated. Finally, I thought, I will drop the gate and close the hatch and see if they will stay in that way. We golly gee willerkers! It worked!!! those birds were SO stupid, they couldn't see all they had to do was duck under and they could run away. They are SO SO SO dumb!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by