Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Scott16475

Scott16475 Chillin' With My Peeps

This is what I read when I was thumbing through my latest edition of Urban Farm magazine. Good to know it's not always 100%...this saves me from having to build a ladder roost this weekend. LOL.

2. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    She is an EE, I bought her at Ramsey Farm and Garden, i'm assuming hatchery? Yes, she just started laying about 3 weeks to a month ago. My golden comet laid a few eggs in the beginning that were very soft, basically "rubber eggs" no shell or very thin, it straightened itself out after a while as well. Now that you mention it, it was about a month into her laying as well.... hmmm

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    No truer words were ever written.....

Listen to everyone, add a large dose of salt and do what you feel is best.

1 person likes this.
  4. Cluckies

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Yeah, I was there a couple weeks ago, they did have chicks in, not sure what kind. go ahead and call them, they are always willing to help out. That sweet little Japanese bantam roo (I think is what he is) that runs around has a new hen and they are going to set some eggs, how cute! can't wait to see them! love that little guy.

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Actually, and put this is the internet expert list, I think, maybe Ramsey Feed raises and sells their own chicks. I know they sometimes have breeding stock available. I am thinking of getting some Dominique's from them.

6. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Ralphie, I would be very skeptical of getting a named variety(especially as rare as Dominique) from a Feed Dealer & etc.
    If you don't care if it is an actual Dominique but just something that looks a little like one it would be no problem.
    I would question them as to their source if they claim it to be the real deal.

A source for the real Dominique would be Duane Urch in Owatonna. He is a source for many purebred varieties of good quality.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Thanks. As you know I am a lover of mutts, But it would be nice to have real Dominique's. I guess a barred rock with rose combs would please me...[​IMG]

I like the barred look... I will have to give it some thought, Knowing me I would have a barred rock rooster crossed with a CX in a year or two.....[​IMG]

Seriously, it would be nice to have one pure strain of something though.

8. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Dominiques have been a thought of mine as well. I've heard excellent foragers. Predator wary. All sorts of good stuff. Right kind of comb for Minn-eee-snowta. And a rare breed to keep going. I like the barred varieties too Ralphie. I understand the fascination.

9. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    It is especially nice to help preserve some of these heritage breeds. The history of the Dominique is really quite intriguing, and they have many qualities which would make them a good choice for the backyard chicken keepers.

10. Cluckies

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Well, baby didn't each much out there when I was out there, passed on the treats I brought out of shredded cabbage, spinach, cottage cheese with crushed eggshell, and scrambled eggs. [​IMG] I did check her crop and it seemed to have food in it though, just not as much as normal. She still has diarrhea, it is white and yellow. I'm glad she didn't lay an egg today, but like I said, she only usually lays every 2 or 3 days. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by