Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. jbenson

jbenson Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2012
    I set porous eggs too, but only if I don't have enough non-porous ones to fill the slots. They are my last resort. And I look them over carefully for any weeping regularly.

2. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Yup, sounds like it is time to get the lawyer. It sounds like what they are doing is illegal anyway if they are purposely hiding public information from their residents. Good luck with all that!

The porous eggs...
    I have never had weeping from them. I have only ever had weeping from eggs I set that I knew had been partially frozen. Yes, I set frozen eggs if they are not cracked. Yes, I do get a few to hatch. I never know if they will or won't and during that time of the season, I am trying to get as many to hatch as possible for 4-H use, so I don't throw any away except those that are visibly damaged.

3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    What city is that Jbenson, may I ask?

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    The good news is , I got another egg from the Crested creams!

The bad news is my wife saw me....

I was so excited I grabbed the egg and headed to the house, I cleaned it up, and thought Hmmmm this egg is really light colored... and feels funny.

MY wife looked at it and said I grabbed the fake egg. then she proceeded to make fun of me. She wanted to know why when I grabbed the fake egg it was not as funny as when she did it... we Geez, that's obvious I would think......

I took the fake egg out brought the real one in and it is in the incubator. I thought it being only 6-7 hours behind the others would be ok, I marked it for a "late" hatch..

it is alright to add it to eggs I just started a few hours ago, isn't it?

5. Cyrus83

Cyrus83 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Chisago/Forest Lake
    All it takes is one bad neighbor with a cock fighting ring and its ruined for everyone!

6. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    hmmm, sounds like it could be New Brighton to me.....You can look up the open meeting law on the minnesota legislative site. Send it to the city attny with your info on how it is being violated....copy the local papers.....best of luck to you.

7. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    The last 3 days I got 24 eggs a day from my 30 girls. Today I got 14.. Does that makes sense or are they starting to hide nests on me?

8. Dandelioness

Dandelioness Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2014
    East Central MN
    My girls are producing at less than 50%!! Which is what I got most of the winter.

When we had that very last cold/snow snap, they dropped off to about 25%. I've had a couple almost 50% days, but nothing close to the percentage you saw the other day, Ralphie.

I have been naughty and left the chicken door open a lot lately. Maybe there are secret nests. We heard an egg song out the window, on the wrong side of our house, and one of my daughters found a warm egg safely tucked into the straw bedding of the dog's house!!! LOL I will have to go out now and close them up tonight if I expect any eggs, I suppose. I usually keep them closed up until lunchtime.

My husband was checking the garden soil yesterday, and he said he was able to easily dig his hand down about 5 inches before hitting frost!! Still too early though...

Is anyone in full swing, close to full egg production numbers yet?? This weather is making me so antsy with all things chicken and garden related.

9. Cyrus83

Cyrus83 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Chisago/Forest Lake
    I've been getting four or five daily from my five birds for the last week or so.

10. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I've got 5 of 8 laying. I'm going on 4 dozen eggs in the fridge. Time to start making quiches for supper and such. It's fun to see the hens so happy with the snow gone and checking out all their little fave spots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by