Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Dandelioness

Dandelioness Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2014
    East Central MN
    I live on sand!
    So my coop is sand in summer and varying depths of deep litter in winter.
    Use a manure rake with a bit of chicken wire over the tines, like a kitty litter scoop.
    I am thinking of installing a droppings board, though. The stuff under the roosts is ridiculous!!
    I am able to safely range my flock, but don't have a run.
    My chickens love the chipped stuff my neighbor (a tree guy) drops off from time to time. It stays dry but spongy in almost any weather, I think it would be very good for a run.

On the egg front, I'm back up to 50% production, so I think they WERE hiding them! Hoping the numbers go up soon, though. I turned off the light a couple weeks ago, so that might have something to do with it.

2. jbenson

jbenson Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2012
    You named it.

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I use nothing on the floor of the runs. I am on very dry sand and it stays nice in there 95% of the time.

They enjoy the dirt and I throw scratch on the sand for them if they need to stay there. I actually feed inside the run during the summer also, so they can eat if I d not get around to letting them free as soon as they want to be. I have three chicken doors on my coop, one to the covered run, which I always leave open, one to a big pen they just fly over to get out of so I leave the fence gate open. (that has a door I close nightly to the coop) The third door goes straight outside for free ranging.

I have to put the netting over the big fence to make it a covered run too. Hopefully soon.

The Cream leg bars have a run of their own with sand on it. I am hoping to get them into the large pen once I get it covered, at least part time. I do not want them to ever mingle with the common chickens.

4. michellepagan

michellepagan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2013
    McGregor, MN
    Question....I was looking at insulating my coop this summer. Decided instead to completly gut and start over:). So long story short moving into a 75 x50 ladder built pole barn (its only 3 yrs old). Can I use roll insulation for the outside walls, covered with plywood or would something else do better for insulation. I am also going to put a ceiling on the rafters for possible insulation next year. My concerns are moisture, cost, and animal health.

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I am not a construction genius and I do not play one on TV, but I would be worried about insulting a pole barn. I would guess you need to leave and inch or two between the insulation and the metal wall for condensation to run down and not collect in the insulation.

I would also worry about a ceiling in there because of dripping condensation gathering and rotting the sheathing. If you come up with a good way to do this let me know, I would like to insulate an area in my sheds but have not done so because of moisture.

6. michellepagan

michellepagan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2013
    McGregor, MN
    I am kinda leaning towards spray foam insulation, but the cost for a building that size even if I do it myself is several thousand dollars.:(

7. Triplell

Triplell Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2011
    Brainerd, MN
    Go to home depot or someplace like that and they can give you all the onfo you will need.

8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I thought about doing that with a portion of mine with spray on. I bought one of those "DIY insulation spray on kits, for around $350 from menards. But decided against it because of condensation. There must be something or someway to do it. If you find one let us know. thanks

9. Dandelioness

Dandelioness Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2014
    East Central MN
    I will be insulating the tin roof of my coop this spring, with the help and advice of DH, who DOES play a construction genius on TV.

When we settle on a method, I'll share it here. :)

10. Cyrus83

Cyrus83 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Chisago/Forest Lake
    Im planning on spray foaming my new basement when i finish it, but im not looking forward to the bill!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by