Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    I use organic peat moss in my tub, the girls fight over it when I put new peat moss in. :)

2. Cluckies

Cluckies Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Sounds like a nightmare, sorry you are going through this, some people... [​IMG]

3. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Sounds like a good reason to have a shotgun ready to load. I am not a cruel person, but dogs taking out other people's livestock is a good and legal reason to shoot them if they come around. I know not all folks agree with that, but livestock owners have rights to protect their animals.

4. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    The biggest concern with using batt type insulation is MICE! They get in to your insulation and might as well put a vacancy sign up for them. They will wreak havoc with it.
    I used it, however, in my brooder house, but so far (knock on wood), they haven't set up their condos in it yet. Putting OSB or plywood over it might not work either at keeping them out, as they will chew through wood to get where they want to go.
    Perhaps if you could seal off any way of them getting in with either wire or foam, that might work.

5. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Ugh. People and their dogs. They're like parents of naughty kids who refuse to believe their kids could "do that."

It's not a nice job LaLa but you know what to do: SSS.

6. starbuck123

starbuck123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2015
    I agree. City politics. Somewhat OT but I was reading about Anoka and how it approved a tattoo parlor and the couple got everything set up and then all of a sudden the city said no. It's easy to find this story online..basically the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. It made me pretty angry to read it and I realize that this type of thing happens everywhere.

Frustrating. I hope that lady on the New Brighton council can be voted off.

7. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    I have a dumb question. I was reading an article this morning about the bird flu goings on in Arkansas, and read that they are going door to door looking for backyard flocks that are in the radius of the commercial farm that has confirmed flu. Here is my question......Are they practicing bio security while doing this? That is kinda a big deal in my opinion. I can say I certainly hope so but that would mean changing clothes, shoes and showering in between each property for bio security right?

8. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    You got it right Rhett's. And hopefully they're doing that. If they came onto my property with some sort of inspection. I'd want to see disposable shoe covers, jumpsuits or whatever and hand washing at least. I don't need to watch them take a shower... ;-)

But for good bio security that is EXACTLY what they should be doing.

9. Cyrus83

Cyrus83 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Chisago/Forest Lake
    Or you can put a few moth balls into the insulation before you seal it up with the osb.

10. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    How about a bunch of dryer sheets?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by