Minnesota!

Thank you, Bogtown Chick! I tried responding yesterday but I must have been having computer issues because it wouldn't let me respond. I went out yesterday and purchased an old wash tub, sand, and ash and placed it in their area. One of my daughters and I picked up the hens and placed them in it so they would know what it was. They couldn't wait to get out and wanted NOTHING to do with it. I hope they eventually figure it out and climb in on their own. I think they will at some point as my girls seem to be a little slow. When I first moved them out to their coop last spring, everything I read said chickens will learn to put themselves to sleep within 2 weeks but of course it took mine much longer than that so before they learned, I was out there each night trying to catch them and placing them into the coop. Comical to say the least.

If they don't figure it out, I'll probably dump it directly on the ground and see if that will work. The only problem with that is when it rains.
I use organic peat moss in my tub, the girls fight over it when I put new peat moss in. :)

New brighton
Sounds like a nightmare, sorry you are going through this, some people...
barnie.gif

Ralphie, I get those egg swings too - 6 eggs one day, then 13, then 11, then 12, then 5, then 12......
My flock is so mixed in ages, from pullets just starting up to 5 and 6 year olds.

I really can't tell who isn't laying yet, either because they haven't started their first eggs, or because they aren't returning to egg laying this year.

Yesterday found an egg laying in the run, and one broken on the floor in the coop. Not sure if I have rats running off with them, or new pullets who aren't quite used to egg laying yet.

And yes, love love this spring weather. Chickens are so happey to be outside the run - only thing I think about is that the green grass from last fall is a bit long for them to be chowing down on it. don't want any impacted crops -

I have a neighbor about a half mile away that has two big dogs that have been showing up with unnerving regularity. Really makes me angry because I can't let them out unless I"m there. His dogs dug under the run about 4 or 5 years ago and took out my flock. He denied they were his though. Now its the grown up pup and her offspring running deer and coming by - can see by prints how often they are here.

They don't bother the run anymore (wire laid around it and electric fence) but maybe its time to get that electric fence up and running.
Sounds like a good reason to have a shotgun ready to load. I am not a cruel person, but dogs taking out other people's livestock is a good and legal reason to shoot them if they come around. I know not all folks agree with that, but livestock owners have rights to protect their animals.

Question....I was looking at insulating my coop this summer. Decided instead to completly gut and start over:). So long story short moving into a 75 x50 ladder built pole barn (its only 3 yrs old). Can I use roll insulation for the outside walls, covered with plywood or would something else do better for insulation. I am also going to put a ceiling on the rafters for possible insulation next year. My concerns are moisture, cost, and animal health.
The biggest concern with using batt type insulation is MICE! They get in to your insulation and might as well put a vacancy sign up for them. They will wreak havoc with it.
I used it, however, in my brooder house, but so far (knock on wood), they haven't set up their condos in it yet. Putting OSB or plywood over it might not work either at keeping them out, as they will chew through wood to get where they want to go.
Perhaps if you could seal off any way of them getting in with either wire or foam, that might work.

Sounds like a nightmare, sorry you are going through this, some people...
barnie.gif
I agree. City politics. Somewhat OT but I was reading about Anoka and how it approved a tattoo parlor and the couple got everything set up and then all of a sudden the city said no. It's easy to find this story online..basically the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. It made me pretty angry to read it and I realize that this type of thing happens everywhere.

Frustrating. I hope that lady on the New Brighton council can be voted off.

I have a dumb question. I was reading an article this morning about the bird flu goings on in Arkansas, and read that they are going door to door looking for backyard flocks that are in the radius of the commercial farm that has confirmed flu. Here is my question......Are they practicing bio security while doing this? That is kinda a big deal in my opinion. I can say I certainly hope so but that would mean changing clothes, shoes and showering in between each property for bio security right?

You got it right Rhett's. And hopefully they're doing that. If they came onto my property with some sort of inspection. I'd want to see disposable shoe covers, jumpsuits or whatever and hand washing at least. I don't need to watch them take a shower... ;-)

But for good bio security that is EXACTLY what they should be doing.

Back
Top Bottom