Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I have tried both moth balls and dryer sheets to keep mice out, I think they like the taste of moth balls and dryer sheets make comfy bedding.....

2. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    as long as we are talking pest repellents......anyone have luck evicting skunks? I am reluctant to trap as I've heard relocation really is hard on the animal and they are better off dead. Strategy is to make them unhappy enough to move on. Trying human pee (dog pee is supposed to be really good but no dogs here). next is weather radio going full blast in shed....

and I just found a repellent recipe:
    There are several techniques to evict a skunk that has made a den too close to your home. The first is to spray a hot pepper repellent around the den entrance. Use this recipe:
    1 chopped yellow onion
    1 chopped jalapeno pepper
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

Boil the ingredients in 2 quarts of water for 20 minutes. Strain out the chunky bits and it is ready to use.
    Spray the repellent a few inches inside and outside of the den. Do not spray deep into the den or the skunk might reciprocate.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  3. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    I would love to hear how others get rid of skunks!! We have one of the biggest ones I have ever seen! It hasn't bothered the animals yet but I would rather get rid of it before it does.

4. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    I suggest a lead pellet placed gently behind the ear.

2 people like this.
  5. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    yup a lead pellet would work, but I figure they have as much right as I do to be there. I just don't want the smell, nor the potential threat to the flock.

Here's an idea:

There are several techniques to evict a skunk that has made a den too close to your home. The first is to spray a hot pepper repellent around the den entrance. Use this recipe:
    1 chopped yellow onion
    1 chopped jalapeno pepper
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    Boil the ingredients in 2 quarts of water for 20 minutes. Strain out the chunky bits and it is ready to use.
    Spray the repellent a few inches inside and outside of the den. Do not spray deep into the den or the skunk might reciprocate.
    The next step is to stuff wadded newspaper or loosely packed dirt into the hole. Observe the hole for a few days. If the paper or dirt is undisturbed, it is a fair bet the skunk has left. If not, repeat the process. This repellent lasts for three to five days, so reapply liberally.
    Another technique to determine if the skunk has left is to sprinkle flour around the den hole and watch for skunk tracks — are they coming or going or both? Skunks will dig, so be sure to seal up the hole when you're sure the skunk is gone.
    I guess they will be giving birth in late April early May, so got to get them moving before then!​

6. michellepagan

michellepagan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2013
    McGregor, MN
    I wish I could offer advice. Even though I live in the middle of the woods, between 2 lakes I have VERY little wildlife in my yard. My pest animals are deer eating out my garden :-( . I have 6 dogs so generally even the people type pests tend to avoid my place.

7. Cyrus83

Cyrus83 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Chisago/Forest Lake
    One or two skunks will be a dozen shortly. But skunks is a better problem to have than fox's or raccoon's.

8. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    People that have no real experience with skunks would be very surprised with what damage they can do. They can kill a lot of fowl in a hurry.

9. Cyrus83

Cyrus83 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Chisago/Forest Lake
    Compared to weasels and fox's, opossums and skunks are amateurs.

10. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    That may be true, but I don't carry rabies, so the only solution I have is a .22 aimed correctly.
    Otherwise, it is said that woodchucks and skunks won't live together, so get yourself some chucks to run them off. ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by