Minnesota!

We got our first GOOSE EGG today!!!!

wee.gif

How super exciting!!!

Does anyone raise geese that could give me some pointers or advice? This is our first time having geese so we know absolutely nothing. I have lots of questions and will start checking out the goose section here but would love it if someone around here could help.

I am SOOOOOOOO excited. Now if those darn EEs would start laying their eggs! The suspense is awful!!

We got our first GOOSE EGG today!!!!

wee.gif

How super exciting!!!

Does anyone raise geese that could give me some pointers or advice? This is our first time having geese so we know absolutely nothing. I have lots of questions and will start checking out the goose section here but would love it if someone around here could help.

I am SOOOOOOOO excited. Now if those darn EEs would start laying their eggs! The suspense is awful!!

Rhett, I had geese last year for the first time, Here is what I wrote about them last summer just before I sold them for loss.. I hope you do better thn I did:

I bought 6 geese this spring from a young, and I mean young girl. She advertised on craigslist. She was very polite. She was about 10 years old. I am guessing. I called her to buy some Guineas. She sweet talked me into the geese.

She said they were white Embden geese. 4 are white. 1 is white with grey tips on the feathers, the other is grey.

I hate the geese! But they are fun to watch. They bully the turkey chicks. They bully the chickens. The Poop everywhere and all the time. They have eaten every shred of lettuce in the garden. They wander all over the farm.

I even stuck my hand in a wad of goose poop when crawling out from under my truck.

When did they start going into my sheds? They can turn a waterer into brackish slime in 4 minutes. They drank a gallon of milk in about 4 minutes!

I need to know what is wrong with me?

Why do I keep them around?

Will I like them better if they reside in my freezer?

Will my wife ever forgive me for the flowers and veggies of hers they have ruined?

Do they have to sit at the bottom of my steps and poop?

Does anyone know of any redeeming qualities they might have?

Did the little girl know the geese would do these things?

"did the little girl know" LOL

Happy Spring!

There is a feed mill in Cannon Falls by the name of Buckwheat Growers who mix organic and transitional blends of non-soy and now non-soy and non-corn rations for both layers and growers. They deliver to several areas in MN (I am well north of the metro, and they deliver to me), and will work with you in finding another delivery option if you are not on their monthly delivery route.

PM me if you'd like the contact/product info. I'd hate to clog up the thread with mundane stuff like feed sourcing!! LOL

I don't make anything off of this, just passing the word. It's really hard to find this kind of feed in MN. I have used their previous blends successfully before. I am really excited to try their no-corn, no-soy this year.

My experience with geese is about the same as ralphies. When they were goslings they were friendly and cute. When they grew up they started chasing my daughter, destroying any area of grass they could find, and they ate a hole in my walkout screen door. I shot both of them and used them for fox/whatever bait.

@duluthralphie. I have to admit that I've called them the creamette sisters more than a few times since bringing them home. ;). Thank you @cluckies! My kids got to see her stock and they were oooing and ahhhing the Cochins.

LaLa give your repellent a shot. I have to say though sometimes certain animals will persist through repellents if hungry enough. My husband and I come from a line of skunk exterminators. In fact his job at the family resort was skunk removal with a cane pole and slip knot. Once the back feet were off the ground they couldn't spray and foul up the resort for the guests. I won't tell you what he did after...
I remember one year my Grandpa shot over 20 skunks over a summer. They go in cycles --obviously a thick year--and they're hard on poultry.

Last edited:
@duluthralphie . I have to admit that I've called them the creamette sisters more than a few times since bringing them home.
wink.png
. Thank you @cluckies! My kids got to see her stock and they were oooing and ahhhing the Cochins.

Those Cochins were worth ogling!

She has some beautiful birds

I have the first 3 eggs in the incubator and 2 waiting for a decent time to go in. they are nice looking eggs. Ray ( the rooster) escaped his run the other day. It took me an hour to catch him. I have no idea how he got out. All I could think about when he was out, was my rooster that cost more than lobster per pound is gonna get munched by an eagle!

Back
Top Bottom