Minnesota!

Ralphie, I get those egg swings too - 6 eggs one day, then 13, then 11, then 12, then 5, then 12......
My flock is so mixed in ages, from pullets just starting up to 5 and 6 year olds.

I really can't tell who isn't laying yet, either because they haven't started their first eggs, or because they aren't returning to egg laying this year.

Yesterday found an egg laying in the run, and one broken on the floor in the coop. Not sure if I have rats running off with them, or new pullets who aren't quite used to egg laying yet.

And yes, love love this spring weather. Chickens are so happey to be outside the run - only thing I think about is that the green grass from last fall is a bit long for them to be chowing down on it. don't want any impacted crops -

I have a neighbor about a half mile away that has two big dogs that have been showing up with unnerving regularity. Really makes me angry because I can't let them out unless I"m there. His dogs dug under the run about 4 or 5 years ago and took out my flock. He denied they were his though. Now its the grown up pup and her offspring running deer and coming by - can see by prints how often they are here.

They don't bother the run anymore (wire laid around it and electric fence) but maybe its time to get that electric fence up and running.

Last edited:
JUST TO LET YOU ALL KNOW.....

Nameless could be entering his last week........

Even with his new black and white paint job, he is going to have to go....... I packed a little suitcase for him and gave him a mini-map, hopefully he will take the hint and leave.

Anyone interested in contributing to the "save Nameless fund" send cash..... It is not tax deductible unless you have a very creative tax accountant.

If you have a place for him to reside let me know.....

Nameless is a breeding rooster 10-11 months old , do any of you think he will need special handling? Will he cook. roast or fry up okay or am I looking at nameless stew?

I am thinking he would make a great rooster dinner on a fly fishing trip for people from Hermantown......He has always expressed a desire to fly fish..

Last edited:
The East Grand Forks jersey in Hermantown would surely lead to his demise ! It is unfortunate but the fly tying classes have all been filled for the current season.
Perhaps a post in the sporting section of TC Craigslist. Fly tying hackle fresh and still on the run. Will assist in the capture at no charge, but harvest is up to interested trout fisherman. Bonus of fresh stew pot chicken. It doesn't get any better than that !
Ralphie after that ad is posted I am sure your phone will be vibrating up a storm in your pocket !

Ralphie I'm a little confused? Are you up by Duluth or In the Zimmerman area?

YES...

I grew up in Orrock township about 200 years ago....

I moved to Duluth area and lived and worked in that area for most of my life. I have now moved back to the remnants of the farm I grew up on. I still own property up north and have a mansion on a lake near Togo.

I am actually fairly well acquainted with most of the state as the company I worked with required lots of in state travel and work assignments....

Last edited:
What do you all use for litter in your runs/coops? I'm thinking about using sand, but I'm afraid it just won't work in our climate. Most of the time they will be free ranging in the pasture, but we want a run for those rare days we won't be home to keep an eye on them :)

I use hay in the coop. The coop is an old construction site trailer, so it sits about 3 feet off the ground and I have hay underneath it. The run has pine trees so under those it is pine needles and duff, parts are grass, parts are blackberry bramble - I try to keep that mowed down but it gets away from me. And parts are packed dirt - am thinking of tilling that, fencing it off and planting a feed mix. There used to be lots of grass, but they have taken care of that.

I know a lot of people who use mulch from tree services in their runs, especially smaller runs like you might see if you had a breeding trio.

Back
Top Bottom