Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

You sound like me!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These eggs do not have the "creamettes" in them. I am not selling the creamette eggs at this time as they are still costing me around $1500 dollars per egg.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  2. Very nice color selection Ralphie! :thumbsup:

3. ejb3810

ejb3810 Songster

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    I will post a photo of the purple eggs and initiate a list of interested recipients as soon as my Goose project is complete.
    I am working on a goose variety that lays eggs the color of 14k gold.

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I want a goose that lays a golden egg!!

Oh Wait, Is this your way of telling us we bought your tall tale hook, line and sinker?

My 3 badly behaved juvenile delinquent Jakes have been re-homed along with Nameless! They are gone... They have moved to St Paul. to live out the rest of the day, errr I mean lives. The woman that bought them is making them guests of honor at a Easter Feast. I am so happy I did not want to have to butcher birds this time of year....

We found a nest today and EE was on it. it was in my lean too. I know there is another nest in there somewhere I heard a chicken singing the egg song from it. When I got the EE to move she had 2 blue eggs and One turkey egg under her.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  5. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    There is a breed in Europe that lays a lavender color egg, but I can't remember what it is. I shouldn't say that too loudly though, it will be the next overpriced import breed.

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I want EJB to import these lavender egg laying chickens breed them and give me a couple of the chicks ( around a dozen)......

There is an unforeseen result because of my selling the Jakes and Nameless. The chicken yard is quieter without Nameless there, Ed seems to be asserting himself into the power vacuum.

JJ and Ethel and the turkeys in the coop/covered run have started complaining about not free ranging. Ethel must have a nest somewhere she really wants out. One of my self blues wants out too, I think it is the one I found the nest of yesterday..... BUT the real sad thing is the turkens. (I have 2 barred rocks and a Delaware I bought for Ethel to raise last year). For some unknown reason The Delaware and one of the barred rock are more attached to the turkeys than my chickens. They are sitting on the outside of the fence right next to Ethel on the inside. My DW says they want their mommy. It is sad, so sad my DW is trying to force me to let Ethel and JJ out to raise their own young and not incubate them.

I am most likely going to let them out in a month to do their things once I get some eggs from them. They are slate reds. I will keep the slate blues in longer. I want a few poults from Ethel and JJ and there is a person in Colorado that wants a few eggs from them. then they can go Free range again. The slate blues are from pure stock and much nicer birds. The tom and two hens are self blue and the one hen is a splash.

It is weird not having JJ follow me everywhere I go.

7. erlibrd

erlibrd Crowing Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    I want on the list!!!!!

8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    EJB:

I think I have solved your egg color project!!!

We all know the old adage “you are what you eat”.

This is proven through and through.

You can make 14 carat gold goose eggs by simply feed them 24 carat gold flakes by the time it is diluted and makes its way through the system of the goose you will end up with a 14 carat gold.

This was such a simply technique I cannot believe we have not done this before. Even purple eggs will be easy to achieve. We all know calcium (AKA to us as oyster shells) make up the majority of the egg shell.

We simply dye the oyster shells the color we desire for the final egg color.

That said I really think the challenge for you should be to make us striped or plaid eggs....

Let me know when you have accomplished this...

Thanks

9. bantiesrule

bantiesrule Songster

Dec 1, 2008
    Long Prairie, MN
    Don't be saying that too loud, they'll start charging us $20 a bag for colored oyster shells. Of course, if they could get a plaid or striped color, it might be worth it. Maybe they could imprint flowers and bunnies on them and we could get already decorated Easter eggs.

About the meet up, I could possibly do Thursday, the 9th. Would that work for anyone else?

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

That works for me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by