Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My neighbor gave me some chickens yesterday! I had told her that I was going to get some more this year so yesterday she came over and gave me four!
    They are really easy to take care of too!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    What breeds do you think they are? LOL[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    lightchick, I just viewed your pigeon photos, and they are very nice. In addition to the chickens I keep racing pigeons and Birmingham rollers. I am President of the Tri State Racing Pigeon Club and a member of The Minnesota Flying Roller Group.

3. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Cool! Thank you! I used to be in the Minnesota state pigeon club, but then I forgot to renew my membership. I started out with Birmingham Rollers! Now I only have 4 pairs (Of 1 BR, 2 WOE and 1 Parlor Tumblers) total because last year I sold a lot of them.
    How many pairs do you have?

4. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    At the moment I have about 50 Birmingham Rollers and about the same number of Racers. It is breeding season so those numbers will go up and then down as birds are lost to hawks and in race competition.

5. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Wow! I don't think I'll ever go much over 10 maybe.

6. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
  7. nordicacres

nordicacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    South Central MN
  8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Dog gone it!!

I should have copied and pasted..

for $300 this person would rent you 2 chickens for 6 months along with a "home" and feed for them. He delivered the chickens in May and picked them up in November..

I figure it was about $1.10 an egg. ( you did get to keep the eggs)

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I had it in my cache!!!..Here it is......

Join the Urban Chicken Revolution (Will Deliver)
    < >
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

We rent chickens (including 2 hens, coop, food, bedding, and accessories) for people to have farm fresh eggs and the joys of chicken ownership in their own backyards.
    This is an excellent way to find out if chicken ownership is right for you.
    We deliver and set up around the first of May and pick up in November.
    All you have to do is collect eggs, fill the feeders and enjoy.
    The chickens are of prime egg laying age. I have several breeds to choose from.
    $300 for the 6 month season.
    • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

10. jbenson

jbenson Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2012
    Can't catch a break this week. Went out this morning and made sure water (using nipple system) and food were full for the 4 week old birds (to be fair, there are a couple in there that are older, but they are d'Uccles, so they will soon be dwarfed by the bantam cochins and the bantam cornish they are sharing the "big kid brooder" with.). Everyone was looking chipper and good. Didn't have time to handle them all, but figured if they all perked up their heads when I looked in the top they were doing great. Came home from work 10 hours later, not quite through all the food and made a good dent in the water for the day and my bantam barred cochin cockerel was dead. He was not by any means the smallest bird in there and there have been no signs of cocci. Checked temps and there is a nice warm spot under the lamp with ample room to move away from the heat. Wondering if maybe he decided to sleep on the bottom of the chicken pile (they were chicken piled up when I got home) and suffocated. I have only had that happen in the first week before when I've had very small bantams in with slightly larger bantams, sometimes of a slightly older hatch. He's not a particularly fast growing breed, so I don't think it was likely heart attack. And he was in warm spot, so very unlikely that he got too cold (though I did adjust a couple things cause I did notice there was a particularly cold portion of the brooder). Oh well - he was a free chick anyways. (we ended up with so much loss on our Welp order earlier this year after they were lost in the mail that they are re-doing the whole thing). Just sad cause I ended up lucky with 2 pullets and a cockerel which would have been a great start to breeding that variety and cause I never ever am not sad when a chick or a full grown chicken passes away, regardless of reason.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by