Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    If you have bantams and large fowl chicks together, that could be your problem. I separate mine out to brood. The bantams will huddle under the bigger chicks and sometimes end up suffocating there. If they are all piling together in one area, your heat might be a little less than it needs to be, you want them moving around and not be huddled together or trying to get away from the lamp (means it it too hot).

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

CX's must be raised differently than "normal" chicks.

We all have different methods that work for us. Many think of CX's as a lessor bird. I happen to love them, but I learned with my first batch they cannot be raised with DP or layers until they are several weeks old.

I have found if there is anything for a bird to crawl under where they can get stuck and die they will. I put nothing in the pen with them when they are young anymore other than water and feeders. They even try to crawl under them sometimes.

Did you dunk each chicks beak in water and watch it drink?
    Chicks are stupid..

I suggest you go to this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/896158/first-run-of-cornish-cross-meat-birds-and-super-excited/2260#post_1500294 It is a bunch of us that really like our Cxs and raise them longer and slower than most people.

You have to limit feed to the CX's when young and even older or they will eat themselves to death. They have lots of genetic problems to contend with most can be prevented by simply limiting feed.

My first batch of Cx's I raised like normal birds and lost nearly half by 6 weeks due to leg problems heart problems, ascites and diabetes. I now only feed them twice a for 15-20 minutes at a time.

They need all the water they can get. IF they have free access to feed, they will sit at the feed and eat until the die, not even moving to poop. Limiting the feed solves this.

I also raise them on sand now so they get grit right away. It seems to help. I sprinkle a light amount of oats or scratch on the sand so them have something to peck at.

I also feed a much lower protein level after the first week to slow the growth. It is cheaper in the long run and I get better birds.
    I have 4-6 pound birds (dressed) at around 7 weeks, I raised most my last batch for 13 weeks and had dressed birds from 8-12 pounds. Bert will be 9 months old on March 30th. He is as best as I can guess pushing 20-25 pounds.

I also get the CX's onto grass and free range as soon as I can, in a tractor.
    Do not let them roost over 6-8 inches high they will break legs.

I plan to get CX's in April so I can have birds in mid June to eat and sell.

Some birds simply fail to thrive and die. (both meat and layers) Are you having a pasty butt problem?
    It is hard to say based on what you said but you need to get the CX's out and away from the others!

Hope this helps, sorry it got so long but I am very passionate about my CX's, they are my favorite bird

1 person likes this.
  3. Scott16475

Scott16475 Chillin' With My Peeps

I feel guilty talking about 'which chicks are which' while nordicacres is going through a loss of hens, but I wanted to say thank you to Bogtown Chick for the information. There are two with dots on their heads so now I know! Thanks again.

Sorry for the loss, nordicacres. Hopefully you'll figure what what's going on.

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Nordic. I feel like an jerk I forgot to give you my sympathies on the losses forgive my manners...or lack there of..

It is a cold sunny morning but life is good today!

I have re-homed Nameless sort of.... and my 3 jakes including the mean one....

My wife works for a major health care company as a home care nurse. She is required to set up translators for some of the visits. She met this translator a few weeks back and they have started taking beings they seem to over lap at work a lot becoming friends. The translator wants all the turkeys (she actually wanted 5) and a my extra roosters ( I only have nameless right now) and 4 dozen eggs!!!

My new incubator is paid for! Now I need to buy something else..... My secret hope is this will become a place to sell more roosters. She wanted more young roosters but was willing to buy Nameless...

They leave here alive, so I can consider it re-homing......... Nothing in the definition of re-homing requires them to stay a certain length of time at the new home.....

And Wow do we ever write a lot of pages in one day!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  5. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Chicken Obsessed

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    We love her Minnie. An obvious choice for Minnesota dual purpose birds.

I've restarted fermented feed for my birds and discovered the Labrador has been playing possum in the woods until I get 1/2 back to the house then goes into the run and hoovers it. She just loves it. And I wish I could afford her gluttony. We had a talk this AM, she and I. Here I thought the birds were plowing through it with the lack of grazing now in these cold temps. Seems they've had help.

Nordic I haven't had the experience of raising meaties but they do sound like they need seperated accommodations due to needs with food and poop management. Best of luck on your chick raising. Hopefully this ends the death of chicks for you.

Scott we're all excited for you! No worries. Chick time is too much fun not to share.

1 person likes this.
  6. Scott16475

As one of my daughter's was holding one of the new chicks, she looked up at me and said, "Dad, could any of these be roosters?" I responded with, "Well, there is that chance." What has me worried is I asked myself that same question when I picked up the chicks from the coop. I hope we haven't jinked ourselves. LOL.

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Bogtown Labs are eating machines!!

I went to Monticello to the *Runnings store... I saw the pelleted chicken feed they had. It is only a dollar more per 50 pounds than what I pay for mash at the feed store. Terry said she feeds it a few pages back and thinks she has less loss. I thought about it and decided against it. Because my labs eat too much mash as it is. If I put pellets out they would just eat more of it.

They can go out and fill themselves at the chicken feeders with a few tasty poops for dessert and still come back in the house and expect their meals.

* there were no chicks at Runnings yesterday, if you have never been to a Runnings store I suggest you make a day trip and head to the one in Monticello, it is huge, clean and has everything I need and want. ( however the incubator was 30 dollars cheaper at Mills fleetfarm...

Which brings me to another thing, if you are looking for an incubator they are on sale at Fleetfarm ( I was in the St Cloud one) for $94. This is the hard case covered one with the fan and the egg turner. With the 2 of them I can now hatch 80 eggs at a time or better yet stagger my hatches...

8. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

You are creating a Chicken loving Monster!! ROFLMBO!!!

9. Scott16475

Well, that could be the case if chickens stayed small enough to hold in the palm of her hands. This kid is TERRIFIED of grown chickens. T-E-R-R-I-F-I-E-D!!! The prankster in me wants to reenact the scene from The Godfather where Jack wakes up with a horse head on the pillow next to him but instead of a horse head, it's a chicken head but alas, that would mean the death of one of my chickens plus a lifetime of therapy for my daughter and who has the money for that?!?!

My wife and I laugh about our daughter's fear of chickens because this kid is the toughest d*mn kid you've ever seen...except when it comes to chickens.

10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Too Funny How old is she? Maybe she will get over the fear if she plays with it as the chick grows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by