Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Creamette-itos! Woohoo. 2 of the 3 eggs are viable!
    Cream legbars are $47 for a female chick on My Pet Chicken. Which is probably not the place to order from. The birds Ralphie and I got are Greenfire Farm birds. Not sure what their value is but enjoying them a lot. I'm sure mine will start laying again once they are over the shock of their new introduction. Edited to say that if you can buy local that's the way to go!

Today my husband took in the broad expanse of a bird that is my buckeye saying a few cursory words in exclamation at my hen. Standing next to my New Hampshire rooster she gives him a run for the money in size. We put her on the bathroom scale and she is a solid 8 pounds! So that was kind of fun tonight checking her weight. She's feisty but a love too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    BogtownChick. I just checked my eggs. 2 of three are developing good. One is clear. I should just throw it.

One week from Friday...ie 7 more days and I should have two more creamettes!

I got a new incubator tonight after bribing my wife with a new GPS and then the proper amount of guilt I went to feetfarm and have a second one....

I will be setting it up tomorrow and stabilizing the temps so I can use it as a hatcher starting on Wednesday afternoon.....

Tomorrow ( 8 hours from now) I will be putting 6 more creamette eggs in the incubator 5 good ones and the repaired one!!

I am still trying to calculate the cost/value/price of young creamettes.... I am sure it will be less than the price of most new cars.....

3. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Haha. Your wife is probably not only tolerant and beautiful Ralphie but one heck of a negotiator. ;)

My eggs are over at a Friends house and if they hatch. They're hers. I don't have the space for more hens right now unless I make some freezer camp decisions with some of my original and henopausal girls. Which is what I should do. But the kids are against it and for retirement accommodations for those lovely girls. Ahh well...

I just checked Greenfire and they are at $29 for female and $19 for a cockerel. $35 for the magic cardboard box that gets 'em here.

4. nordicacres

nordicacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    South Central MN
    Alright experienced chickeners. Went out to check on the chicks before bed and found another dead chick under the sweeter heater. Laying flat out, chicks laying all over the top of it. How many dead chicks is normal per batch? Let's say I ordered 50 chicks (20 meat birds). What mortality rate should I expect? All three that have died have been some of the smallest in the batch. Is it normal for them to be eating, drinking, running and then just suddenly die?

5. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Congrats on the new chicks Scott. The barred rocks will have dots on their heads and the SLWs will be a more mottled on the head.
    May I also say as to your Black australorps welcoming the new chicks that you couldn't have a nicer breed for welcoming new flock mates. My black Australorp is my "buffer" on the roost when introducing new birds. I'll pick her up and put her between the newbies and the other established growling old biddies. She never bullies or doesn't have to.

Now when those rhodies and wyandottes grow you may have your hands full! Lol ;)

6. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Sorry to hear that Nordic acres. Do you have some ACV in their water?

It could be just weak or runtish birds. But you could be dealing with coccidia too... In which case that's more serious. Any bloody droppings?

7. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Thanks, Ralphie. I really just want to be helpful if I can. It is always with a heavy heart I take care of things like that. No matter how many times I do it, it will never be pleasant or something I just write off. The day I stop feeling bad is the day my soul has turned black and died.

8. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Now THAT is what a Buckeye is supposed to be!

9. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Sorry to hear you are losing chicks!!

Well, for starters I have never had meat birds let alone meat birds in with the layers. I can't really say for sure how many to expect to lose. I figured in the batch we ordered (62 total) that 5-8 would be about what to expect but I really don't know for sure. After the initial shipping loss, we have only lost 2. One was small, not really growing or feathering and then just died sometime during the night. I figured it would. It was a runt compared to the others of the same breed and age. The second loss I am positive it was entirely my fault. I am most certain they were too hot and one of the polish just convulsed and died. I really feel like crap about it but at least I am aware of the problem now and pay close attention.
    So as far as suggestions IMO I would separate the meaties from the layers. I would make sure you have a thermometer to keep your temps in check hot or cold. If they are small or runty there isn't a whole lot to do there I do not think. How long after shipping can the chicks die from shipping stress? Are the chicks eating the bedding?
    Perhaps some of the veteran chick keepers can offer you some better advice. Really too bad!!

10. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    If you are talking about the Cornish Rock crosses, YES, separate them. For no other reason to spare the rest from the poop and stink that is so abundant from the CRX. The CRX just grow too fast to keep with others. You will be glad you did.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by