Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Cyrus83

Cyrus83 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Chisago/Forest Lake
    Well the sun just peaked thru the clouds for a change Ralphie, so I'm feeling better now. The snow across my yard is what ticked me off initially

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I know that feeling!

This weather stinks. I had a ton of things planned for today. The morning snow ruined them all. I may have to spend the rest of the day sampling C2H6O...

3. Cyrus83

Cyrus83 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Chisago/Forest Lake
    I've been moving, unpacking and painting for a week now. I think this evening will be a good one for a fire and some barley pops.

4. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    I have a question wondering if anyone could answer:
    I ordered my day old chicks from Mcmurray. I was looking at the 4 weeks olds to possibly add to my current chicks since they would be about the same age. Probably won't but still looking. My question is this: In the description for the 4 weekers on Mcmurray it says They are vaccinated for Mareks, Coccidiosis, Newcastle and Bronchitis. If my chicks are not vaccinated for these and the new ones are, am I putting my chicks at risk for any of these diseases from the new chicks?

5. Drea07

Drea07 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2015
    Isanti County, MN
    I have a pretty good idea! Saw it and freaked out because it would be so perfect. Then realized that I have no way of moving it. lol

Hope you can get it and it works out perfectly!

6. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I can't make up my mind about the wolf and talk out of both sides of my mouth about them--because it was pretty cool seeing him yesterday. (This drives DH nuts, BTW) He was following deer scent I'm sure. But I also agree with all of you. I was living out west when they first reintroduced a pair of Canadian Timbers into Yellowstone and the first thing those buggers did was range out of the park and get shot stalking a Rancher's calves. It raised a hulla-balloo at the time. When the wolves mingle with us it is not healthy for them either. Fear of humans is a good thing for them. Where they have a chance in a park for instance or big woods such as the NE part of the state or border country...yep that's okay. When they mingle into ag then there needs to be allowances. We eat venison in our house--it's pretty much our red meat and DH sits right with you EJB, Rhetts, Cyrus, and Ralphie when it comes to that. The fall before the hunts started we got one deer out of 4 tags. Not a good deal. Coming home from the school bus stop a wolf sitting a 100 yards from my driveway walked across the road, I stopped and it just circled my car waiting for me to leave. The next fall was the hunt and I haven't seen them since--in two years--until yesterday. That fear is VERY good for them.

When I make my mind up about the wolf will probably be when he/she's in my yard stalking chickens or my labrador. And I know what side of the mind will be in action.

That's such a vivid story Rhetts on why there needs to be allowances on some tags for them. Not good. I think our State DNR is filing for special allowances arent they with the feds. I thought there was some motion that way.

7. Drea07

Apr 1, 2015
    Isanti County, MN
    Hello and thank you!

Oh, I'm already enjoying them! Unfortunately, I think I got three roos when I got my chicks! Already leaning towards one of the BR roo I have, he is such a ham already. Won't let me put him down and loves to just hang out. Not so happy the dog licked him...he had peeps to say about that one. May have another BR roo and one...well he is just a mix of a bunch of breeds. Never realized chickens and ducks had such personalities.

My Pekin seems to be the boss of the ducks, one Khaki does not want to be touch but you better not forget to pick him/her up if you pick someone else up. The other Khaki just gives me the stink eye right now. lol

8. rainin22

rainin22 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    St. Francis, MN
    The cochin is my favorite little girl. She's just ridiculously sweet and so fat that the other chicks love being under her. She also always wants to be near me =D

9. Drea07

Apr 1, 2015
    Isanti County, MN
    Thank you Bogtown!
    It really is, on all accounts!

10. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    We had some white stuff stick to the grass this morning but it's already gone. Thank Goodness!

60's tomorrow?!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Projects this weekend: I should really clean out my basement and do a little painting down there. But if the weather is fine I was thinking about cutting some Willow and making some Woven Willow Fencing. Has anybody ever tried that before? It would be to keep chicken feet out of a kitchen garden. IDK. I should clean out the coop and give it a good run through for spring too. Move the bales of straw into the run...etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. .... DH is going to the Rainy River so I guess I could run the remote control too...No pressure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by