Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. AmericanKraut

AmericanKraut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2014
    Minnesota

They're adorable! Your orp is standing so tall and proud! I bet the cochin is going to be beautiful. Lookit those feets!!!

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    It is a great day in Minnesota, even if I did not get a creamette egg today..

I just candled my eggs in my incubator..

7 creamette eggs..... 7 developing baby lobster priced chicks!!!

9 turkey eggs, 8 developing turkeys and one maybe...

I am happy, time for a Mike's hard lemonade to celebrate!

1 person likes this.
  3. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    Yay Cyrus!

Bogtown- Wolves scare the crap out of me! We haven't had problems yet in a major way. I HATE seeing them so close to our house. So many wolf stories around here! EEK

Ralphie-That is egg-citing news! I am super happy for you!

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    BogtownChick....

Wolves are bad, bad, and even worse on farm animals. I hope it stays away from your birds, pets and what not. They are leery of people though so maybe it is time your family forego the bathroom and start to pee all over the yard and edge of the woods.

I released a wolf once bout 35 years ago from a trap. I came across it while hunting. It was just a young one, I held it down with a forked stick while my hunting buddy undid the trap. It was growling and snarling and not a happy puppy. He stood at the ready when I let the stick off it's neck. I was surprised how it just ran off into the woods without even snarling at us, It truly looked afraid....

NOW EJB, before you judge me badly for letting a wolf go, I know that is a capital offense to some northerners, my hunting buddy happened to be a game warden so there was not a lot of moral questioning needed on my side. He provided the moral compass to release it, not me.

Rhetts you must have a lot of wolves where you are. We even have them in Togo, which is amazing considering how it was once the Garden of Eden.

I was going to mark my turkey eggs this morning before putting them in the incubator, I did about 4 and gave up on it. My old eye have trouble distinguishing the air sac. Which is good because next week I know I will see it well even if I do not see veins I will see the sac becoming larger and better formed. I put 13 (unlucky number, but it is all I had) in the incubator this morning to hatch on May 8.

I only have 6 creamette eggs, but I decided to not put them in the incubator, they would hatch on May 1, which is when my first turkey eggs will hatch. I thought it would be best to not have turkeys and chicks in the hatcher at the same time. Does anyone know would they be okay together in the hatcher? Otherwise I think I will make Tuesday the creamette day.

5. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    The only good wolf is a dead wolf.
    They serve no useful purpose in my opinion. The brush wolves killed some of my chickens last summer. It was still light out.
    I have watched the Great Grey wolves chase deer down the road in front of my house. My wife does not dare to let her Shih Tzu's out without being right with them. In this day and age their fear of man has been diminished greatly.
    If those Howling For Wolves people love them so much why don't they keep a couple in their back yard?

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    My guess is unlike those of us that have lived in the rural northland, they have never seen the damage they can do. Had I not had a game warden with me when I found the wolf in the trap, the outcome might have been different. But like I said, I did not have to make a moral judgment that day, it was made for me..LOL

IMHO, the more wolves we get, the more interaction with humans they have, the more brazen they become, the more damage they will do.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  7. Cyrus83

Cyrus83 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Chisago/Forest Lake
    The whole wolf topic gets me kinda fired up. I don't understand how people can decide its ok to manage (hunt) one species, and not manage the others. And the most recent reasons behind putting them back on the ESL is such a naive decision. If the feds really want them to inhabit all of their original range, then start letting them go in every suburb west of the Ohio river. spread them out in the Dakotas, see what the REAL cattle ranchers think of that.

2 people like this.
  8. Cyrus83

Cyrus83 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    Chisago/Forest Lake
    Does anyone ever mention that the estimated wolf population in between Alaska and Canada is over 100,000? Endangered?? That's like saying the Canada Lynx is endangered in the lower 48, that's why they are called "Canada Lynx"!!!

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

Sorry, I brought it up, I think I raised your blood pressure a tad....[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Rhetts

Rhetts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Northern Minnesota
    The person haying the fields next to my house told us last fall (much later) that they had gone to lunch and when they came back there was a wolf by the tractors. They tried to get it to go, it circled their truck several times, they were honking and making all kinds of ruckus, but the wolf could care less. The wolf jumped up on a hay bale (big round ones) and settled in. The people tried many things to get rid of it finally taking the tractor and physically moved the bale around to get it off. After much time the wolf just lazily took off. Yes, the wolves here have NO fear of people. And yes there are MANY wolves where I live. I agree with EJB and Cyrus, people who think wolves are in the minority or endangered should stay a spell up here and see for themselves the damages they are causing to the wildlife and domestic animals. The story I heard just last week was how a wolf came in to the yard and took on a pair of large breed dogs (like a saint Bernard or Pyrenees maybe is was Mastiff or something like that I mean a large breed dog!). Kids and small pets are not safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by