Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    It's a Hovabator 1602N.

2. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    So in a turner they do better??

3. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    If the cartons were clean and didn't have anything that might grow in the incubator and ruin your hatch, then I think you are good. Are you going to leave them in the cartons to do the lockdown and hatch? I like doing that in the bottom of my big hatcher with the 30-count trays. I wish the upper trays were high enough for me to do that too, but I have to lay them on their sides to hatch up in those. As long as you have good temp control and good humidity control, then your cartons should be fine. You don't need to flip them completely though, you just need to rock them about 45-degrees to keep them in good shape, maybe 90-degrees. I'd space them a little more too for air flow around each carton.

4. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have gotten almost ALL cockerels from my Welsummers this year. It has been quite frustrating too since I have a lot of people wanting Wellie pullets.
    Those tree trunk legs are a give away on your little Orp(?). The slow feathering too is indicitive of a cockerel in some breeds. Then you have that comb. YOW!
    I have also a very high percentage of males in my Cochin hatches.

5. holm25

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    No I am going to take them out for lock down and hatch. I Made sure they were super clean cuz I was nervous about that. I was going to ask if I should space them more but u answered it. It has stayed at 99.5 the hole time. Thanks for all the help!![​IMG]

6. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I suppose it depends on who you ask. I think the racks were invented so that more eggs could fit in an incubator or hatcher at once, on their sides takes up lots more room. It is easier to see the air sac too when they sit in the carton or tray with the pointy end down. But it is an interesting question, isn't it? We do pointy end down because that is the way someone decided they should be. I had a Brower Top Hatch incubator that had a very cool design as far as the turning went, and I could turn it by hand without opening when the turner pooped out on me, but it was a terrible unit to get the temp and humidity right and holding with it. You don't see them in the farm stores any more either. It had a drum that turned with like a rocker arm, that rolled the eggs in a very natural way. It was fun to watch it work. The top was clear so you could watch the eggs hatch too, but like I said, the success with it was really low.

7. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    No problem, good luck hatching! The biggest thing is keep it closed, and when they start hatching, don't be a Nervous Nellie and think you have to intervene. If the humidity is right and temp are right, let Mother Nature do her thing.

8. rainin22

rainin22 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    St. Francis, MN
    so I recently bought some chicks from a breeder that said they were 98 percent female or something like that. What do you supposed she did with the males? Also, I've noticed some people on craigslist are looking for roosters only, is that just because they want to breed?

9. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I am back to getting an egg every other day and once in a while it skips an extra day.

I have done what Triplell said to. I have them on 24 game bird feed. I bought oats and give them that for scratch. I talk really nice to them, I even beg the girls for eggs and still they refuse to give me 4 eggs apiece per week...... But then I suppose they can't be expected to be beautiful and productive.

10. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

I think it is occasionally because they need a rooster for breeding, However, I think it is more than likely a scam to get free baked chicken.

People know a lot of places will not allow you to have roosters. So they advertise needing or wanting a rooster, the current rooster owner calls them. The person says he will give them a good home just wants a pet or whatever, and the softy that just wants a good home for their rooster is happy.

Meanwhile, the rooster has a good home for 12 minutes then moves to freezer camp.

You could easily fill your freezer if you just told people you wanted a "pet" from the number of ads I see of people wanting to re-home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by