Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    That is most definitely a HE. Didn't get far enough on posts to see if you found him a home. No, I don't need him, I have PLENTY of my own ;)

2. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    There is a fun thread on here about "Miracle" the guinea/chicken cross. They are sterile, like mules, but really cool looking!

3. rainin22

rainin22 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    St. Francis, MN
    Not yet and I feel like he's the one making all the noise already! And I have a feeling he has a brother..

4. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    OK Minnie this is how I have them set in the bator for easy turning I just flip them to the other side... Is it OK to do it this way??

[​IMG]

I'm super excited all the eggs have these in them!!! NO clears at all!! I had to give my roo a treat... Bad pics but they r all alive a moving in the shell!

[​IMG]

5. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Good luck getting it all off the ground. But especially, good luck with teaching your Standard (note, I have 3) to leave the chickens alone. They get that taste of feather in their mouth and you will need to invest in an in-ground fence. I did and it saved my birds and my sanity. We tried all the advice about breaking them, but to no end. I got them on the in-ground system and they learned it in one day. All it takes is a beep if they get too close and they back off. The only chickens I have lost since got out of their own fence and came to the house.

The Orps sound lovely! They will likely be as big of an investment as Ralphie's Creamettes!

6. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I would skip the holding and toss her in chicken jail (aka kennel or big cage) for a few days. I am in 100% agreement with Bogtown. Hatchery birds are much more frequently the victim of some kind of reproductive problem, and some can change their behavior. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the jail even if she is a danger to a child. She could be useful as a nice pot of chicken and dumplings, and let your daughter know so she can feel better as she eat the nasty little witch.
    Well, that is what I might do anyway. ;)

7. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Try putting feed behind a door that Big old Bert can't fit through but the girls can. Fee d him is ration and give them theirs where he can't get to it.
    As for getting them to like him more, did you try putting a paper bag over his head?
    They probably look at him and think, "There is NO WAY I am having relations with a man-bird that size!"

1 person likes this.
  8. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Have you though of upgrading from a tidBIT to a tidBYTE, or a tidMEGABYTE? It may be helpful to upgrade your RAM too, or did he eat the motherboard?

9. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Well, as long as they are getting turned over/rocked twice a day, that should work. What kind of incubator do you have?

10. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    This is an interesting question I had seen someone bring up in another forum....
    If a hen hatches eggs, they are on their sides and she rolls/turns them throughout the day and hatching period. So, why do you suppose 'it is better' to put eggs in a holder, pointy end down (or auto turner)? I have done them on their sides and rolled them, and I have done them in the auto turner types and truly, the difference is that I have had more pip out the narrow end or out the side of the egg more often when they are rolled.
    '

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by